recoil advice after heart surgery

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

slopok

recoil advice after heart surgery

Post by slopok »

hi,

just had triple bypass surgery.like to hear from someone that has had that done and if they continued to shoot the larger calibers.don,t want to give up anything.
also how long did they wait before returning shooting.any advice will be appreciated.

thanks in advance,

slopok
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so."

~RONALD REAGAN
ChrisF

Re: recoil advice after heart surgery

Post by ChrisF »

Ask your Dr
Roundsworth

Post by Roundsworth »

I did not have a heart problem, but, I did have a sternotomy to remove a mediastinal tumor. It was sensitive for quite awhile, but I returned to all of my activities, especially shooting and motorcycles. I did not feel the need to give up on any particular caliber of rifle. Good Luck!
GMC(SW) - USN, Retired 1978 - 2001

USS San Diego
USS Missouri
USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I have had 5 separate open heart surgeries over 45 years my last one I waited 1 year. Only shot 22's for that year.
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

They tell you not to lift more than ten pounds for three months after the surgery.

I must have lifted something too heavy (melting scrap lead).

Snapped one of those wires that held the sternum together.

Had enough wires it did not matter, but you should be very careful for three months until the bones heal up properly.
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

They tell you not to lift more than ten pounds for three months after the surgery.

I must have lifted something too heavy (melting scrap lead).

Snapped one of those wires that held the sternum together.

Had enough wires it did not matter, but you should be very careful for three months until the bones heal up properly.
slopok

Post by slopok »

chrisf,

god bless 'ya.you must be one tough dude to have survived that many heart surgeries. by the lack of replies,i guess not many have gone through it,and that,s a good thing.thanks for your reply.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so."

~RONALD REAGAN
slopok

Post by slopok »

chrisf,

god bless 'ya.you must be one tough dude to have survived that many heart surgeries. by the lack of replies,i guess not many have gone through it,and that,s a good thing.thanks for your reply.

~RONALD REAGAN
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I survived 5 of them and 3 rounds with bacterial endocarditis staph infection in the heart 3 times doctors said many times you don't survive that even 1 time. Now have a pacemaker and defibrillator. For you my advise err on the side of caution. I am here yet cause God ain't finished with me yet.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

ChrisF wrote:Ask your Dr
HELL YES as to the first person you should speak with :!:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

For what it is worth --

Back in April 2005, I had a 5 way heart by pass. The Saw Bones who did the work said no shooting for 6 months. By that October, the bad weather set in and I did not start shooting until May of 2006. After I fired the first round in the .45-70, I thought "What the devil did I just do? " Surprised the heck out me, then I felt around my chest to make sure everything was OK.

Bottom Line: discuss this with your surgeon/cardiologist. I know a few guys who did not heed their surgeons' advice and it caused problems. From what I have been told, you do not want your chest re-opened.

Again, discuss this with your surgeon/cardiologist. I advised following his/her advice, then allowing more healing time. In my opinion, it is better to loose a shooting season or the better part of one than to cause additional complications.....
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
slopok

Post by slopok »

hi,

i,m taking this advice to heart,and i appreciate it.maybe i,ll stick to 22,s and my 38-55.again, thanks all

~RONALD REAGAN
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

slopok wrote:hi,

i,m taking this advice to heart,and i appreciate it.maybe i,ll stick to 22,s and my 38-55.again, thanks all
Do what the Doc sez-We want you around this forum for a long time.
You could get one of those .22RF liners for your Sharps and have some real fun. :wink:
http://www.shilohrifle.com/shop/product ... oductid=56

Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

You could get one of those .22RF liners for your Sharps and have some real fun.

But the Sharps are usually 12 pounds and they restrict you to a maximum of 10 pounds.
bobw

Post by bobw »

So find a Shiloh on one of the auction sites that's less than 10 #'s and put a liner in it. bobw
bobw