For Kirk: military stock length?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Eric Johanen

For Kirk: military stock length?

Post by Eric Johanen »

What is the standard length of pull on a military butt stock? For a order placement I would like to know if I'd need a "shorter than standard"
Todd Birch

Re: For Kirk: military stock length?

Post by Todd Birch »

I bought a Shiloh 50-70 carbine, assuming it would have the same LOP as my two Military Rifles and '63 SRC. Wrong - I had to ship it back and have 3/4" lopped off the LOP.

It was so long that even in a T-shirt, I could barely reach the trigger.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

13 7-8 - 14
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

Thank's for replying Todd. My Sharps military rifle came with a 14.5 pull length and It was just too long for me to hunt with. A good friend has a original with a pull of 13.75 and I fit me perfectly. I had my gunmaker shorten the stock to 13.75 and his work is just perfection. (done at a fair price but was not inexpensive). Kirk thank you for the information. I'll request a "shorter than standard length of pull" and specify 13.75 inch length. At this length it works very well with heavy clothing in our Wisconsin deer season yet is very comfortable in summers heat. Since I want a patchbox fitted with the military butt plate, I'd like to get it right on the initial order. Thought about this rifle for 40 years and it will be a Business rifle set up like the one carried by Audie Murphy in the Unforgiven" 50-70 1X36 twist with Orville's paper patch chamber. Should make for a great hunter!
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

I think that the new LOP is something that ought to be mentioned in the Shiloh catalog. I asked Kirk about it and was told that people now are generally larger than back then.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
boge

Post by boge »

Eric Johanen wrote:...Thought about this rifle for 40 years and it will be a Business rifle set up like the one carried by Audie Murphy in the Unforgiven" 50-70 1X36 twist with Orville's paper patch chamber. Should make for a great hunter!
Those were original Sharps conversion carbines in the movie and most likely 1 in 48" ROT.
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

Boge, I suspected that was the case. It did have the military stock with patchbox and a pewter forend. Now the extra 6 inches of barrel and bone casehardening would be ideal for a great looking hunting rifle! With my older eyes and not hunting with my shooting glasses, with that extra barrel length I can actually see the front sight!!
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

When I ordered my Shiloh carbine in 50-70, Kirk asked me what I wanted to use it for. I told him hunting and CAS. He recommended a 24" barrel and I went with it.
Haven't taken any game with it as yet but I won in a CAS "Mini-Quigley" event shooting against all comers on 28 oz. tomato cans off hand at 100m with the issue sights, taking 3/3. Others were using tang sights and even smokeless powder ..... !!!!
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

That's a great story Todd! Some shooting for sure with the issued iron sights. About 15 years ago when I was in my prime...good eyes and steady nerves I hit a smallish steel plate 3 for 3 at 300 yards offhand. I drew a small crowd and wisely quit at that point before I screwed up. 45-70 with tang and globe sights. Can not do that anymore even on a good day!! I started shooting gong matches last summer and have had pretty good results out to 400 yards using a semi buck horn rear and a blade front. Sight picture is good and shooting prone is pretty steady. Just finding the right elevation on the ladder and a bit of luck with the windage.