Shiloh Chamberings

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

MacRob46

Shiloh Chamberings

Post by MacRob46 »

I was just talking to a bullet manufacturer who told me that, unless custom ordered, all Shilohs come with chambers cut for smokeless loads. Is that a fact and, if so, what is the procedure to get the chamber modified to handle black powder cartridges? Sounds strange to me. I believe he said it has something to do with the leade.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
jackrabbit

Re: Shiloh Chamberings

Post by jackrabbit »

Holy Cow! I think that bullet manufacture should go to selling those drugs he is using rather than bullets! I would say there is no truth to what you have heard at all. Shilohs are designed for black powder and, with the exception of the 30-40 chambering, work better with the holy black. A few folks have some ideas about chamberings that they will request Shiloh to do, but their standard chamber works just fine for most of us.
Hope this helps, Cody
montana charlie

Post by montana charlie »

MacRob46 wrote:I believe he said it has something to do with the leade.
There are some who have asked Shiloh to use certain reamers that produce a smaller neck diameter, or a different leade angle, or both ... in order to make the rifle more amenable to shooting paper patched bullets.

But, the standard chambers work just fine with black powder.
Retired...twice. Now, raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time...
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

That bullet manufacture is totally wrong. There are many ideas out there regarding optimal chamber design for cast bullets and black powder, but Shiloh factory chambers are very accurate once you figure out how to shoot the rifle and build good loads.

Chris.
Tombstone71

Post by Tombstone71 »

Shoot the black. Just came back from the range shooting 500 yrds with a guy that was using smokeless in a 45-70. 4foot round gong with a 10" black center. All 45 of my shots hit the target with 39 of them in the black. ( $ bullit 40-70 ). :D out of 53 he shot only 3 hit the target :roll: Good thing is he said he will never shoot smokeless jackass bullets again. :lol:

Tim Caldwell
MacRob46

Post by MacRob46 »

Tombstone71 wrote:Shoot the black. Just came back from the range shooting 500 yrds with a guy that was using smokeless in a 45-70. 4foot round gong with a 10" black center. All 45 of my shots hit the target with 39 of them in the black. ( $ bullit 40-70 ). :D out of 53 he shot only 3 hit the target :roll: Good thing is he said he will never shoot smokeless jackass bullets again. :lol:

Tim Caldwell
I don't use smokeless in my buffalo rifles - ever.
battleship gunner

Post by battleship gunner »

OK time to show my ignorance: what is the difference between a smokeless and a black powder chamber?

Frank

My long distance provider is Sharps.
MacRob46

Post by MacRob46 »

battleship gunner wrote:OK time to show my ignorance: what is the difference between a smokeless and a black powder chamber?

Frank

My long distance provider is Sharps.
Apparently nothing but Kirk has not weighed in yet.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Shiloh chambers their rifles with their std reamers unless otherwise spec'ed out. You can have them put a 7 degree leade in a std chamber for ease of use with ppb's and better results. They also have for various cartridges ,reamers designed for paper patched bullets ONLY. These are real tight chambers that emulate those in original rifles. My 45-110 has one of these, the expanded neck dia. of my cases are .472" . After an initial full length resize when the brass was new and fireforming they don't need anymore resizing again and that is how the original chambers worked in various but not all Sharp's chambers. The 45-70 and 50-70 chambers were cut larger to use GI greaser ammo. bobw
bobw
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

I think a12deg leade is more for jacketed bullets and the 3 and 7 are more suited for lead bullets. Just my opinion....

Tom klinger
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

OP-FIND ANOTHER BULLET MAKER, that one is full of c'it :!: :roll:
Here's a good one to contact.......
http://www.bigskycastbullets.com/

Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
boge

Post by boge »

bobw wrote:...that is how the original chambers worked in various but not all Sharp's chambers. The 45-70 and 50-70 chambers were cut larger to use GI greaser ammo. bobw

Yes, one can only imagine the "thrill" of trying to wipe or blow tube under a volley of arrows!! :shock: :D :lol: :P
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Most tight chamber guns with ppb's and grease cookies keep shooting with an occasional breath down the chamber pretty good Boge.
bobw
johnl

Post by johnl »

gunlaker wrote:Shiloh factory chambers are very accurate once you figure out how to shoot the rifle and build good loads.

Chris.

Yep :lol: