trapdoor barrel repair

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

alfajim

trapdoor barrel repair

Post by alfajim »

Hey guys, I just picked up a trapdoor barrel and receiver off e-bay. It is a brand new piece that was damaged on purpose by the government when sold one of the new ones they felt it was a bad idea to sell operating guns back then. It was un crated new and damaged with a acetalene torch at the mouth of the chamber. In the picture it doesn't look badly damaged will evaluate it when in hand. I am thinking it can be repaired by sleeving the chamber or welding it and re machining it both of which I have the means to do.
Do any of you know of someone fixing one of these as I would like to really fix and use as it is brand new never shot except at the factory.
by the way I got it for #61.00 howa that for a deal?

Jim
John Bly

Re: trapdoor barrel repair

Post by John Bly »

I have fixed several of those by sleeving the chamber. The sleeve does not have to be the full length of the chamber, maybe only 3/4" long. I've used 4140 barrel steel for the sleeve which is better then the original steel. I use an interference fit and 680 loctite. The toughest part of the job is refitting the extractor. If you have the capability to do it go for it.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

John Bly wrote:I have fixed several of those by sleeving the chamber. The sleeve does not have to be the full length of the chamber, maybe only 3/4" long. I've used 4140 barrel steel for the sleeve which is better then the original steel. I use an interference fit and 680 loctite. The toughest part of the job is refitting the extractor. If you have the capability to do it go for it.
John that was my thought also based on the picture. It looks like it was cut about 3/8" from the end of the barrel.
Can't wait to get it, am excited imagine having a brand new trapdoor! WOW!

Jim
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

Gents got the Springfield 45-70 barrel/receiver today. If none of you folks have ever seen a new one of these they are very pretty beautiful bluing on the barrel and even light black on the receiver. This particular piece has never been assembled into a working gun it was released as is there is no tang and one was never installed no witness marks same with rear sight area. There is no front sight blade or pin and no witness mark's anywhere for ever having been in a stock or barrel bands used.

The torch damage in the chamber mouth is light at the top still a shoulder but more extensive in the bottom of the chamber will have to weld a little before sleeving. Will make a sleeve to fit around the outside of the tenon to combat warpage while welding. Perfect bore and the rest of the chamber is perfect too just the first 3/8" and the case rim recess.

Wow what a find! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jim
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

John Bly wrote:I have fixed several of those by sleeving the chamber. The sleeve does not have to be the full length of the chamber, maybe only 3/4" long. I've used 4140 barrel steel for the sleeve which is better then the original steel. I use an interference fit and 680 loctite. The toughest part of the job is refitting the extractor. If you have the capability to do it go for it.
John got the barrel today and it is beautiful appears to never been made into a gun no witness marks anywhere showing having been in a stock or a tang fitted also no front blade or pin.
Will have to do some welding to add metal to the lower left side of the tenon under the extractor as that is the area with the most damage. About 1/3rd of the case rim recess still intact upper right for reference.
John do you have a print for the sleeve you have used and also the machining dimentions for machining out the chamber to fit it?
Because I have to do some welding I am thinking to make a shrink fit collar to fit over the threads and tenon to combat warpage in the welding process, my welder is superb he does a lot of engine block and head repair for blow ups.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
These new Springfield barrels are so perfect and beautiful, can't wait to finish the rifle imagine a new trapdoor! :lol: :lol:

Jim