Hammer Position-1874 Farm. Sharps

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Brushwolf

Hammer Position-1874 Farm. Sharps

Post by Brushwolf »

Hi. New to the Forum, but I have owned several Shiloh-Sharps rifles over the years, including an 1963 Military Carbine, 1874 Military Rifle, 1874 Military Carbine, 1874 Business Rifle, and 1874 No. 3 Sporter. I recently acquired an early 1874 Farmingdale addressed Shiloh rifle, serial # 41XX. It appears to be what was called a 'Civilian Carbine' with single trigger and medium/heavy 24" barrel in .45-70. It shoots extremely well, but I have a concern regarding the 'safety-loading' hammer position. In this position, the hammer is about 3/4" of an inch above the firing pin head. All the other 1874 models I have owned had a 'safety' position of the hammer being only about 1/8" above the firing pin? It almost seems like the hammer position on my rifle would be correct for an 1863 model, where it would allow clearance to cap the rifle, but seems excessive for the 1874. Were all the Farmingdale 1874 rifles set up this way? Can they be converted to the newer style? My other question concerns the firing pin strike on fired cartridges. I notice it is striking the primer on the very edge, and in addition, there appears to be some 'flow-back' of the primer into the firing pin hole. While this has not appeared to be detrimental to the accuracy, or causing any problems in the limited shooting I have done, it does not seem to me to be entirely 'kosher'. I would be very interested in your 'take' on these matters.
Kirk

Re: Hammer Position-1874 Farm. Sharps

Post by Kirk »

We can update it and put a new style block in it. All the old guns were that way.
Brushwolf

Re: Hammer Position-1874 Farm. Sharps

Post by Brushwolf »

Thanks, Kirk. I spoke too soon regarding not having any issues, as I had a further chance to do some shooting with the rifle today and experienced several misfires. The off-set firing pin is definitely a problem. I will be sending the rifle to you for installation of a new block and upgraded lockwork. Thanks.