question about Sharps weights

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

firefighter1990

Re: question about Sharps weights

Post by firefighter1990 »

I'm a bit late to this thread but Kurt hit the nail on the head and covered my two cent opinion better than I could ever say it. The most historically correct "big fifty" will be a bull-barreled Hartford with a military butt-plate. 30" tube centered on the traditional 1-36" twist.
Personally, I have a plain Jane Shiloh Hartford with a steel shotgun butt, 30" heavy octagon barrel with the modern 1-22" twist. I knew I wanted a Hartford for the sole purpose of hunting since my two others were the long heavy models. I originally wanted a 44-77bn or a 40-90bn but came across a used 50-90 for a deal so I ran with it since. I find it's OAL of 48" and 10-1/2lbs weight much more mountain friendly. I have a baco shoulder pad that I put on for extended settings at the bench or at a match and it works wonders! I've shot a full silhouette match prone with this gear and managed a 25/40 with zero discomfort.
It sounds like your heart is set on one particular chamber and that's a great start to a custom built Shiloh. The rest is entirely dependent on which bullet you plan on feeding that rifle. If you opt for the fast twist, get something with a pistol grip to better counter the torque. If you're a historical purist then get the base line Hartford as I described above. Anywhere in between that and it's still a Shiloh and will be guaranteed to shoot!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I have a 50 rifle that shipped from the factory in Oct. 72, 26 inch barrel, the twist makes just one turn before hitting the chamber. So that little 24 that was stamped in the collar, may mean something after all.
Marcots new Sharps book has been a gold mine of information and myth killer...
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Mac-I turned 66 in March. :shock:
Several of us have health issues. I'm class 3, CHF.
I believe Don's birth certificate, in on a stone tablet....... :lol:
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

I agree with firefighter 1990. I have two Shiloh 50-90s and I love them. A Hartford heavy barrel and a 16 lb bull barrel built from photos of historical 50-90 buffalo guns. I also use a removable recoil pad and recoil is not bad on either. My daughter shot the bull barrel and really likes it. The bull barrel really tames the recoil to next to nothing. I am 66 and enjoy them both a lot. I shot my buffalo with my Hartford. If you want a big fifty - get it.
Then I decided I wanted a target rifle style. I ended up with an Axtell 45-100 long range No 1 Creedmoor for target shooting. I decided not to try to mix the two styles - just spend the money and get at least one of each style. I am glad I did.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Oldmac

I have a 44/77, 50 2.5 and a 50 1 3/4. If you want a 50 get the 50/70 with a slow twist like Kurt said. 1/36 or 1/34, shoot a 425 paper patch bullet and have fun. I have killed around a dozen animals with my (Big 50), they all died real nicely. Last year my thirteen year old son and I both killed deer with the 50/70. Just as deadly but not as hard on lead and powder. More reasonable to shoot and just a fun round to have.

Take care

Stephen
johnl

Post by johnl »

Lumpy Grits wrote:Have you fired a full load in a .50-90? It will pound you hard.

Gary

Sissies :lol: I love my big .50 and their full house punch. I own a 12lb Saddle and a 16lb bull barrel #1 Sporter. Both are in 1/22. If you have health issues and hell bent in the big 50 I would listen to Kurt and get a slower twist, however I have success in a light charge of 105gr of 1.5 F under a 480 gr bullet out of the Saddle rifle. As mentioned a 50-70 is also a great choice but if you are really want a poor man nitro express, then go for it. Beside you can alway buy another in a smaller calibre.
johnl

Post by johnl »

johnl wrote:Beside you can alway buy another in a smaller calibre.

Or two :lol:

Top two are 50-90s and bottom two are 45-70

J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Good advice predominantly...but clearly going with your 'heart' rather than your head maybe a good thing in this instance. Clearly 45's ..be they the 2.1 or 2.4 variation would be the more practical but thats not much help if your interested in owning & shooting a 50 or 44 ! I currently have a 50 x 2.5 in a 12 lb Saddle rifle. Its running a 30" heavy octagonal barrel and now sports an 'add on' pistol grip. This rifle would have weighed in the region of 11lbs but I asked Kirk to fit a recoil reducer in the stock. This will add close to 1lb to the rifles weight. With the 650 - 700 grain bullets that the 1/22" twist is ideally suited to.. it is quite a handful to touch off but it never fails to deliver the goods out past 1000 yds and in spite of itself...keeps me smiling. It doesn't suffer haphazard shooting or lack of concentration though with that load and keeps me focused on follow through and not flinching. With the more traditional weight 470 - 500 grain bullets, it is actually much more mild mannered to shoot. When I shoot it is generally mid to long range either paper or steel. I've also owned a 50/ 70 in a 28" standard oct. Saddle rifle. This rifle also had a reducer fitted..as much for balance as recoil. It weighed in at 10.5 lbs. I requested the 1/36" twist on this rifle and it shot lights out from the get go. I had pretty good luck with this rifle on steel out to 800 yds and once at 1000 . It shot moa at 100 & 200 yds all day. A surprisingly good cartridge. Actually think it would have been a great BPCR rifle if I'd had the opportunity to test it there. I sold it...to buy another Shiloh.... You guessed it... a 44/77. I had been interested for a while ...when I got caught up in an 'internet learning curve' ( which is still in progress by the way ) with Kurt, Don and a few others. Love this cartridge. Wasn't cheap to set up for with brass orders and moulds but even in the last 3-4 yrs, the moulds available have increased ( I've got a few myself :wink: ) and brass availability has improved with Captech & RMC offering production. My 44 is a No.1 Sporter with 30" heavy oct. bbl. It weighs in at 12.5 lbs. Its running a 1/19" twist bbl and is my 'go to ' rifle these days. I don't get enough time shooting paper and I s**k at reading the wind, and that lets me down more than the rifle or loads. If you want a traditional 'Big 50', then the 1/36" twist is the way to go and keep your bullets around 450 - 550 grains. A 30-32" heavy oct. bbl should give you a 12-12.5 lb rifle depending on what wood you order. Generally the more interesting the wood...the denser it will be and hence heavier. Kirk has heard it all so he's going to give you sound advice but ultimately its your baby.. Let us know how it pans out. Hth.

rgds.. J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

my shiloh LRE weighs 12lb 10 oz with a 34 in. heavy oct. barrel and shoots great with a 480 gr. baco mold and .030 comp. less recoil than a 45/70 with a 530gr. bullet and very accurate to 600yds and beyond..plenty of load help on this forum buy it art
df

Post by df »

I ordered an 1874 #1 50/70 about three years ago. I wanted a half round/octagon so I called Shiloh and they recommended the heavy half for my use, which is casual paper shooting and some deer hunting. My deer hunting would be from a blind so no long carry. It is heavy, but I have never weighed it.
I have the shotgun butt plate and find the recoil very manageable. I am shooting 425 and 450 grain bullets.
BDixon

Post by BDixon »

I've had a 50/90 since 1979 and it came with a light barrel. I think it weighed about 9 lbs. I was young then in my mid 20's. I shot 90 to 110 grains of 1Fg. I wanted to send it back to Shiloh for a heavier barrel. But it took about 7 years. I sent it back about 15 years ago. They put a #1 heavy barrel 34" 50/90 barrel and it's a pleasure to shoot it now. If your up near Winchester, Va. Let me know I'll let you shoot mine. I also have a 45/90 with a #1 heavy barrel and it shoots great.
NRA Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life
Oldmac

Post by Oldmac »

BDixon wrote:I've had a 50/90 since 1979 and it came with a light barrel. I think it weighed about 9 lbs. I was young then in my mid 20's. I shot 90 to 110 grains of 1Fg. I wanted to send it back to Shiloh for a heavier barrel. But it took about 7 years. I sent it back about 15 years ago. They put a #1 heavy barrel 34" 50/90 barrel and it's a pleasure to shoot it now. If your up near Winchester, Va. Let me know I'll let you shoot mine. I also have a 45/90 with a #1 heavy barrel and it shoots great.

Interesting...What's the weight now?
I love modern technology, I just don't want to touch it!
Orville

Post by Orville »

Don when you say you have a 50 that was shipped in 72 are you talking about an original or a Shiloh and if it is an original how many rifling does it have?
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
pete

Post by pete »

Don;
When you say the new Sharps book kills some myths would you give an example?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Pete look at the chart on page 83 and see the numbers of the 50 2 1/2's manufactured..
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?