44-77 questions

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ehsa

44-77 questions

Post by ehsa »

i am researching to buy a 44-77 from you guys. i would shoot both paper patch and grease grove bullets in it but mostly grease groove i think so is there any choice on chamber dimensions.also what is the best barrel length.lastly may i call someone to talk to about my selections.john
Eric Johanen

Re: 44-77 questions

Post by Eric Johanen »

I am shooting a Hartford, 30 inch standard heavy barrel with Orville's paper patch chamber and finding it very easy to get shooting. Great chamber, no powder blowback...seals the chamber mouth perfectly. .431 bullet patched to .439 from a Brook's nose pour mold. Fired formed cases just neck sized with a Meacham neck size die, 74.0 grs of OE 2 fg or 75.0 grs of KIK 2 fg. Open barrel sights using the Long staff Lawrence rear and a Hartford front. Just shot it on steel last weekend and very easy to get solid hits at 400 yards. Love the rifle and chamber! You could get a greaser bullet cut at .431 but paper patch is much less messing around and just shoots and looks right. I took a long time deciding what chamber I wanted and now am certain I made the right choice. I'd vote for Orville's chamber and shoot the daylight's out of the rifle!!
ehsa

Post by ehsa »

thanks eric for that very good information.john
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Just ask Kirk to use his standard reamer with the 7 degree lead. That way you can run greasers or you can run patched if the bug strikes.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Don's reply is how you want to go.
ehsa

Post by ehsa »

thanks don just exactly what i needed to hear.john
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You're welcome.
ehsa

Post by ehsa »

don i particulary thank you for you help and in another forum.i ended up ordering a shiloh sharps 44-77.the hartford model.this will be a little harder for me because i am not a bullet caster and i only see a few folks that sell these bullets for reloading.i am a long time reloader but not so much with black powder.i am familar with the 45-70 in lever actions and one double rifle.one of my favorites is my miroku made 1895 take down in 405 winchester.i sent it off to turnbull to have the safety removed and welded up. the stock refinishes in winchester red and a recoil pad installed along with the gun reblued and sling swivels installed.thanks so much to all.john
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

John now the wait begins, but it is worth every bit of it when that rifle shows up.
You might want to get set up to cast, there are a number of good moulds out there, and Steve Brooks is always open to building one.

Glad to have been some help to you , and don't hesitate to holler again.

PS my 405 is one of my favored rifles, and you won't believe how much fun it is when you're shooting the bullets cast from the lyman mould. :wink: