New to Shiloh rifles ...

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Lumpy Grits

Re: New to Shiloh rifles ...

Post by Lumpy Grits »

OP-The only thing I would add to your sight choice, is the MVA Hadley eye cup.
Ron's inserts are 'lollipop' style with various opening sizes.
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
bigjeepman

Post by bigjeepman »

Lumpy Grits wrote:You choice of sights is excellent.
I have the exact same, on both of my Shilohs.
Get in touch with this guy for the best sight inserts made.

Ron Snover
Ron's business is IXL Enterprises. Address info is:
IXL Enterprises
1245 Delta Valley Rd
Greeneville, TN 37745
Ph: 426 234-0184 Fax: 423 234-0227
email: rsnover@adelphia.net

G.
I couldn't get that email address to work so I searched and found this email ... rwsnover@comcast.net ... it seems to have been delivered.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Bigjeepman, the original Sharps rifles had polished barrels. So if you want the rifle to look original get the polished barrel ,fire blued screw heads, bone and charcoal finish. Brass escutcheons were an original option. No xtra charge for the shotgun butt but if you don't spec a checkered steel butt you get a std PLASTIC one. ?????????????????????????????????? bobw
bobw
BFD

Post by BFD »

bobw wrote:Bigjeepman, the original Sharps rifles had polished barrels. So if you want the rifle to look original get the polished barrel ,fire blued screw heads, bone and charcoal finish. Brass escutcheons were an original option. No xtra charge for the shotgun butt but if you don't spec a checkered steel butt you get a std PLASTIC one. ?????????????????????????????????? bobw
Yeah, what he said.

I'd go with plain jane wood as I have never seen an original Sharps with high end wood on it. They were more like working tools, than trophy rifles, and just look better to me in straight grain lumber. But a polished barrel is the way to go.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Go with the AAA finish, and you will think it's a higher grade of wood.
X2 on checkered steel butt-plate. :wink:
G.
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

Upgraded wood is never a bad thing. Pride of ownership and all. Just a simple upgrade to semi-fancy puts most other gun company's fancy to shame
Real gun powder is black.
bigjeepman

Post by bigjeepman »

Lumpy Grits wrote:Go with the AAA finish, and you will think it's a higher grade of wood.
X2 on checkered steel butt-plate. :wink:
G.
I am getting the AAA finish with upgraded wood and the traditional steep butt plate. The upgrade in wood is the only bling I ordered as I have seen a Sharps here in person and made decisions from what I liked or disliked. It might not have the original look I originally wanted but was what I liked and ordered.

Thank you everyone for adding your opinions ... I appreciate it.
BFD

Post by BFD »

bigjeepman wrote:It might not have the original look I originally wanted but was what I liked and ordered..
I can't argue with that! Your opinion is the only one that matters when you are the one footing the bill and using it out of the box.

Good luck with it!
bigjeepman

Post by bigjeepman »

BFD wrote:
bigjeepman wrote:It might not have the original look I originally wanted but was what I liked and ordered..
I can't argue with that! Your opinion is the only one that matters when you are the one footing the bill and using it out of the box.

Good luck with it!
Lol ... it sure isn't like I'm the first to do this. My Marlin/Sharp friends have all said the same but opinions go a long way with me. Most of my rifle knowledge and experience is with JM Marlins and that gets me almost no where with a Sharps. I am excited to be in the mix though my status as a "rookie" is full blown at this point.
bobw

Post by bobw »

A lot of originals were ordered by stocking dealers as std guns in different configurations, a lot of them and most military models had straight grained walnut exhibiting very little figure, they looked at utilitarian aspects first. Now 1874 Sporting models were a different story many had wood that would rival what can be had today by order. Sellers book was black and white photos but Roy Marcot's book is all COLORphotos and a feast for the wood lover to enjoy. It's about the best $100 any who like the Sharps will ever spend.... Every issue (3 a year) of the Sharps Collector Association Report is in color and has articles that are accurate as well as interesting on many historical Sharps rifles, well worth investing in a membership in the SCA if you are interested send me a PM and I'll forward an application to do so. bobw
bobw
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

X2 on what bobw says about Roy Marcot's book. The pictures are about the best I have ever seen of any Sharps rifle.
G.
bigjeepman

Post by bigjeepman »

Lumpy Grits wrote:OP-The only thing I would add to your sight choice, is the MVA Hadley eye cup.
Ron's inserts are 'lollipop' style with various opening sizes.
G.
Hey Gary ... funny but I have been considering a Hadley for this setup. I can only see positives using one but there are two sizes ... a Magnum with 15 apertures and another Standard with 9 apertures. The 1.95" diameter of the Magnum seems large but have never used one. Can you recommend one and the reasons?

Thank you guys for your input ...
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I run the smaller of the 2 Hadley's on both of my Shilohs.
The large one might interfere with the lowest sight settings.
I have compared both sizes side by side, and like the smaller one.
G.
bigjeepman

Post by bigjeepman »

Lumpy Grits wrote:I run the smaller of the 2 Hadley's on both of my Shilohs.
The large one might interfere with the lowest sight settings.
I have compared both sizes side by side, and like the smaller one.
G.
That really helps Gary ... never thought about the larger one interfering with the sights. I'm going to order one today. :D
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Look hard at the Long Range Buffalo Soule sight #103.
That extra windage is very handy to have :!:
Does not take much crosswind to move these football size bullets off to the side of target at distance.
G.