New to Shiloh rifles ...

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bigjeepman

New to Shiloh rifles ...

Post by bigjeepman »

I have taken the leap into a Hartford 1874 in 45/70 through Bill Goodman in Bozeman. Bill sent my order in about 10 days ago to Big Timber and my wait begins. I am not dreading the wait as I have a lot to learn about owning, shooting, and caring for a Sharps. Some of the options I have chosen are standard octagon 32" barrel, a matte machine cut barrel, extra fancy wood with AAA finish, custom bedding, no rear barrel dovetail, and MVA #103 Buffalo Long Range tang sight, and a #113 Spirit Level front sight.

I am interested in using this bullet (I do not cast and no plans to ... sorry) https://www.montanabulletworks.com/prod ... snover-gc/ but am looking for more options than MBW. I know their quality is top notch and it is certainly a viable option but am also looking for other options to acquire these bullets. Does anyone know of another source for these? Does anyone use these for long range?

I hope to eventually work my way out to 600+ yards and would appreciate any opinions on the rifle I have on order, bullet choices, and any other comments you might have. I am sure glad I picked this trail to go down. I have been a Marlin lever action man all of my life and have some really nice ones I enjoy. Here are some of those ...
pacecars

Re: New to Shiloh rifles ...

Post by pacecars »

Welcome to the disease. More than likely this will not be your last Shiloh. Bill is a great guy and a pleasure to do business with and really shortens the wait time and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. When I ordered my first Hartford through him he was also very patient. I must have called him 20 times making changes and upgrades! I have not used that particular bullet but have used several others from MBW before I started casting my own and the quality was outstanding. You might look at Buffalo Arms for their cast bullets.
Real gun powder is black.
bigjeepman

Post by bigjeepman »

Quote ... "Welcome to the disease."

I like that and have had it for over 45 years for Marlins and revolvers. I am looking forward to this new adventure and the life of a long range buffalo ... I mean long range steel hunter. I've told all of my gun buddies and my son back in the Midwest that this would be the last rifle I would ever buy. I'm 64 years old and I want a nice long marriage with this rifle so I do not anticipate too much attention for any new ones.

"I must have called him 20 times making changes" ... I am still considering making one. The hardest decision I made was the machine cut on the top flat of the octagon barrel. I still might change to a regular barrel as I want it to look 1800ish as much as possible. I didn't add any bling like brass or anything more than case color. Well ... I guess you could call "extra-fancy wood" with the AAA finish bling but that was it. Yes ... I might just change to a regular barrel unpolished.
BFD

Post by BFD »

I have a rifle with a herringbone matte cut in it. Looks great and I love it, but I don't fool myself, it is all bling. Not one more animal, steel or otherwise bites the dust because of it. Not one more point is added to my score, but it sure looks good.
BFD

Post by BFD »

I have a rifle with a herringbone matte cut in it. Looks great and I love it, but I don't fool myself, it is all bling. Not one more animal, steel or otherwise bites the dust because of it. Not one more point is added to my score, but it sure looks good.
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

One more option you might consider if you have not already is the custom bedding for $50.00, it basically seals the wood inletting
Real gun powder is black.
bigjeepman

Post by bigjeepman »

pacecars wrote:One more option you might consider if you have not already is the custom bedding for $50.00, it basically seals the wood inletting
I forgot to mention I have added that option. For $50, it seemed like the wise thing to do at the time.
BFD

Post by BFD »

If the Hartford is a straight stock, then the bolt on pistol grip will do you more than matting, in both cosmetics and performance. A better polish on the barrel for rust bluing would be a plus too in my opinion.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I have one on order with Bill...nice guy. works with you. Shiloh say's he's a good guy too.
and I'm waiting too. sent check early Aug.
time stands still some time...

when your wife says..'lets talk'..(means you listen!)
Anything that happens after 'hello officer,what seems to be the matter?
Daddy,I'm having trouble paying the bills this month...
:D
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

The military style buttstock is not the best choice for the distance you want to shoot, as this stock has a lot of 'drop' to it.
Bill Goodman is GTG :!:
I do hope you will be shooting REAL BP in this rifle.
You would do well to look at a bit heavier bullet. I run a 540gn Creedmoor, out of my Hartford .45-70.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
bigjeepman

Post by bigjeepman »

Lumpy Grits wrote:The military style buttstock is not the best choice for the distance you want to shoot, as this stock has a lot of 'drop' to it.
Bill Goodman is GTG :!:
I do hope you will be shooting REAL BP in this rifle.
You would do well to look at a bit heavier bullet. I run a 540gn Creedmoor, out of my Hartford .45-70.
Gary
The rifle will come with the standard shotgun butt and I agree about Bill Goodman. I contacted him last Friday and cancelled the matte machine cut top flat on the octagon barrel. I saw one here in person last week and it just wasn't for me. He said "no problem" making the change as his concern was only getting me the rifle I wanted. Nice ...
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

You choice of sights is excellent.
I have the exact same, on both of my Shilohs.
Get in touch with this guy for the best sight inserts made.

Ron Snover
Ron's business is IXL Enterprises. Address info is:
IXL Enterprises
1245 Delta Valley Rd
Greeneville, TN 37745
Ph: 426 234-0184 Fax: 423 234-0227
email: rsnover@adelphia.net

G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
LHuck

Post by LHuck »

Welcome to the Shiloh forum. These guys are loaded with information and have far more knowledge about these rifles and how they shoot than I have time to learn considering my age. All I know is they are a hoot to shoot and although I do not shoot competitively I still enjoy taking them to the range or on a hunt and shooting them. I can assure you, you will enjoy setting up and shooting your new Shiloh sharps rifle.

Since I do not shoot competitively and don't have a place to shoot exceptionally long distances I have stayed south of 500 grains on the bullets I shoot and I only load with black powder in my Shiloh rifles. I do load modern powder for my 1886 45-70 rifle and carbine.

I think it is interesting you have recently become interested in Shiloh's 1874 sharps and I recently became interested in the early "waffle top" Marlins and now am the proud owner of four of them, one 1950 336A in .30-30, one 1948 336RC in .30-30 and a 1949 336RC in .32 special, and finally a 1951 336SC in ,32 special. All exceptionally clean and unmolested.
bigjeepman

Post by bigjeepman »

Lumpy Grits wrote:You choice of sights is excellent.
I have the exact same, on both of my Shilohs.
Get in touch with this guy for the best sight inserts made.

Ron Snover
Ron's business is IXL Enterprises. Address info is:
IXL Enterprises
1245 Delta Valley Rd
Greeneville, TN 37745
Ph: 426 234-0184 Fax: 423 234-0227
email: rsnover@adelphia.net

G.
Great info Gary. I really appreciate this information because in my opinion, I will have to try several before I find the one or few that will pair up best with my vision. This was on my Bucket List of Concerns as I head down the Sharps trail.
bigjeepman

Post by bigjeepman »

LHuck wrote:Welcome to the Shiloh forum. These guys are loaded with information and have far more knowledge about these rifles and how they shoot than I have time to learn considering my age. All I know is they are a hoot to shoot and although I do not shoot competitively I still enjoy taking them to the range or on a hunt and shooting them. I can assure you, you will enjoy setting up and shooting your new Shiloh sharps rifle.

Since I do not shoot competitively and don't have a place to shoot exceptionally long distances I have stayed south of 500 grains on the bullets I shoot and I only load with black powder in my Shiloh rifles. I do load modern powder for my 1886 45-70 rifle and carbine.

I think it is interesting you have recently become interested in Shiloh's 1874 sharps and I recently became interested in the early "waffle top" Marlins and now am the proud owner of four of them, one 1950 336A in .30-30, one 1948 336RC in .30-30 and a 1949 336RC in .32 special, and finally a 1951 336SC in ,32 special. All exceptionally clean and unmolested.
Those are some really great choices you have made. My oldest Marlin is the rifle on the right ... a 1951 336A in .35 Rem. I bought it from a man in PA who inherited his uncles vast collection of Marlins and revolvers ... almost all in like-new condition with some having never been fired. He kept detailed records and in his records, mine was fired 5 times and then sent back to Marlin in the early '50's to be drilled and tapped for a scope. He also had them install sling swivels with the front one in the forearm. Some would cringe but I loved the rifle and the .35 Rem caliber.