Help with front sight level

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SFogler

Help with front sight level

Post by SFogler »

I have a Shiloh Sharps rifle built in the 1990's with a windgage level front sight. I have an Axtell 1877 rifle with the same type sight. Both level brackets are interchangeable on the two sights. One of the level vials is broken. I have obtained level brackets from MVA and C. Sharps and neither fit. The arms on the MVA and C. Sharps brackets are too thick to fit in the slot in the sight and just the vial doesn't fit inside my bracket. I contacted Carmen Axtell but she has only the level bracket without the vial. I'd rather not start filing bracket slots or grinding the bracket arms down if I can avoid it. Does anyone know where I can get a level bracket that will fit an Axtell sight or get the vials that will fit in the one I have? Does any one know where you can get vials that are not filled with that cheap looking green anit-freeze that all the new levels seem to have now?
Lumpy Grits

Re: Help with front sight level

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I would contact these folks.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Index.aspx

Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Regards
John
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Thanks - I will try them.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Please, keep us updated.
Whatever you find that works-Buy several.........
Best of luck
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

I received my Track of the Wolf glass vial for my Axtell front sight level bracket. I ordered the clear vial (Clear Spirit Level Vial FS-VIAL-220) for $2.99. It measures .220 in diameter. I haven't found one narrower yet. The diameter of the MVA, C Sharps, and Pedersoli vials are all to large. So I got three. I broke one trying to get it into my Axtell bracket. It was just slightly too large. I will probably sand/grind out the inside of the level tube a little bit and see if that will work to hold the second vial.

The third vial fits the sight on my original Rem RB Creedmoor. The sight is, apparently, an original Winchester spirit level sight. I removed the original vial which was intact but empty and a spacer then inserted the new vial into it just fine. I like the vial's clear fluid because it doesn't look like the day-glo green "anti-freeze" that the other vials have these days. I can always put a piece of colored foil under the clear level if I find I can't see it well enough.