.50 caliber round barrel weight

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Luke

.50 caliber round barrel weight

Post by Luke »

Roughly how much would a #3 30" .50-70 round barrel weigh? I'd like to get close to 11 lbs.
Limber Up!
firefighter1990

Re: .50 caliber round barrel weight

Post by firefighter1990 »

I have a 50 Hartford 30" heavy octagon that's exactly 12lbs with my sights. So I'm going to guess 11 and some change depending on your choice of wood and butt. Maybe less without the pewter.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Shotgun butt, steel plate, probably the pewter tip. Thank you, anything between 11 and 12 is great. I'd like to stay at 30". My Carbine is comfortable with a 50-70-450 load, like to try some heavier loads in this one. (yes, I have a .45-70)

Was hoping Shiloh would do some Military models again, but I figure I've waited long enough.
Limber Up!
firefighter1990

Post by firefighter1990 »

That's exactly how my 50-2.5" is setup. (Except heavy octagon that is.) Plain grade- straight dark grained wood. The various threads I've read; along with the various rifles I've handled and shot; show nothing gained or lost in the various barrel lengths other than sight radius and balance point. Although a true minute of angle per vernier point is obtained with a 32". How much lube a particular bullet carries can have a bit of a roll as well. It's all personal preference but I favor the balance and sight picture of a 30" the most.

Take a look at Bill Goodman's current inventory as I believe he just recently got a small and limited run of round barreled orders filled. As of this writing; I believe he has a 30" 50-70 round barrel but with a military patch-box butt.

http://www.shiloh-ballard.com/shiloh_sh ... r_sale.htm
Luke

Post by Luke »

We very much think alike here. I also am going with standard wood. polished barrel along with an ebony pistol grip. I've already got it ordered, but wanted confirmation on my conformation, cannot find much data on the round barrels, though it seemed to me that Shiloh's pattern splits the difference between the standard and heavy octagons in weight. Really wanted that round barrel. But do not want the gun too light! I have carbines for that.

My experience with my small collection of BP infantry rifles (Gras, Italian Vetterli, Trapdoor, Rolling Block) is that fouling gets harder to control in those inches past 30.

I had indeed looked at Goodmans, but he did not have exactly what I wanted, and I do not mind the wait. 18-20 months according to Shiloh.
Limber Up!
whoop-up country

Post by whoop-up country »

Hello Luke,

My Montana Roughrider with the 30" round barrel, weighed 11 lbs 4oz. before adding Tang and Globe sights.
It had extra fancy wood, so that might weigh more, and like your #3 has a pewter fore end.
I would guess your rifle would weigh close to 11 lbs with the standard sights.
If you really want to know, ask Kirk at Shiloh, what he thinks it would weigh.
He guessed my rifle would weigh around 11 1/2 lbs, so he was only off by 4oz. and my scale isn't dead accurate.
Hope this helps.

Bob.