Farmingdale Production Date

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tomklinger

Re: Farmingdale Production Date

Post by Tomklinger »

Streightshooter45,
I hope this dials you in on the production date of your Sharps...
I ordered my Farmingdale Sharps 50-3-1/4 in late Feb of 1982 in Carson City Nevada, for under $700. Received the rifle about 6 weeks later, April 10, 1982 it's ser.# 4983.....
Tom Klinger
D. Taylor Sapergia

Re: Farmingdale Production Date

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

Taylor and his Sharps.jpg
This is the only image of my Farmingdale NY Shiloh Sharps serial # 3004. I bought it as a barreled action while attending a joint NMLRA/NAPR rendezvous in Montana in 1979. I stocked it myself with Claro walnut. It was chambered in 45 x 3 1/3 SS and I found the recoil wore me down after prolonged shooting, so I rebarreled it with a Harry McGowan 28" business barrel chambered in 50 Alaskan, thinking that a fat express bullet would be the ticket. The best shooting slug I've found so far is a 600 gr. BACo bullet over 90 gr. of 1 1/2 Fg Swiss, so I have not escaped the recoil thing. As I age, I'm enjoying the beating less and less, so today, I am expecting delivery of my new Shiloh Sharps rifle in 45-70. When it arrives, and I've had time to photograph it, I'll post some pictures of the two rifles together.
Regarding the Farmingdale rifle: I had an issue with a broken tumbler, so I made a new one while I sent the original back to NY, and Shiloh thankfully replaced it...now I have a spare for the rifle. I've had to repair my firing pin block twice. First, the pin itself separated at its base, so I filed it flush and installed a new drill rod pin. It worked fine until the block itself sheared off at the dog-leg. A nice clean fracture from not having been tempered back enough, I silver soldered it back together again, and it has been working well every since.
The rifle has harvested quite a few moose over the years, and won its share of prizes, but I'm looking forward very much to wringing out the new Shiloh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.