main spring failure??

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Re: main spring failure??

Post by mdeland »

I can see why they break lever springs fairly often! Over stressing the spring steel in flex down in an already weakened area (purchase hole). If the purchase block could be extended perhaps .125 farther ahead of the hole I bet the breakage would be reduced significantly . Be worth a test to see if it works. The lever would have to flex a bit more but it would begin farther away from the purchase hole.
pete

Post by pete »

Aviator I had a spring crack recently in that same area after 16 years. I ordered 2 to have a spare.

mdeland I took your suggestion about taking the sharp edge off the sides. I also did the same to the edges around the screw hole. Thanks for the idea.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

I'm not distressed over the broken lever spring. It probably lasted about 4000 rounds.
The rifle will function with a broken lever spring, and it only takes a few minutes to change it.
I had a spare at the time, and now I have two spares on hand.

Perhaps one problem with having a pretty accurate replica of an 1874 rifle is that you have a pretty accurate replica of weak areas also.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

If I understand correctly the firing pins in Shiloh's are not original design so why not see if it's possible to enhance another design weakness in ones own rifle.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I was going through my copy of the Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters and Skinners last night and got to looking at the parts supplies lists often used at the re-supply depots which usually had a gunsmith in residence to fix the broken guns brought in for repair off the area buffalo ranges. I notice that extractors where a big item along with lever springs and new barrels. This struck me as odd. I supposed it may have been caused by the folded head cases then in use having to be dug out with a hunting knife after separating in a fowled chamber.
I don't remember ever having to change one personally or any of my friends who own 74's having to. Have any of you ever broken a 74 extractor?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

How often do Hammer springs give out? I don't think they fail very often do they?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Never had a hammer spring fail.
Have had 1 lever spring, and 2 firing pin tips break over the last 15+ yrs.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

With modern brass we seldom have extraction problems but there were some problems with early cartridges. This is well documented in the trapdoor Springfield. I imagine there is a reason the extractor protrudes out the top of the Sharps action. This could be struck in an attempt to remove a stuck cartridge when using the lever just wouldn't get the job done. This is just my thought, I have no documentation to validate my assumption. Maybe the extension was just to fill the slot cut for the extractor to prevent debris entering the action or it could have had a dual purpose.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
BFD

Post by BFD »

I've had stuck cases in one of my Sharps, though rarely. I can say with some confidence that the lever will bend before the extractor fails.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, good point John on the extractor extension and I bet your right. I hadn't even considered that aspect. Makes perfect sense.
One of the design aspects of the 74's and 77's that I have always loved was the use of back action locks which is necessary for this style of receiver but none the less a very elegant touch usually seen in expensive double guns.
Got to go through a Borchardt the other day , break it all down, replaced a cocking cam and tuned it up. Been awhile since I was inside one and had some fun working the trigger and sear over. Very cool old guns indeed!
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I've had one mainspring fail in probably over 25,000 rounds from Shiloh rifles, that from a mid-90's rifle with around 5-6,000 rounds through it. The replacement, in around 2015, looked considerably different than the broken part, smoother on the edges and the entire surface. I expect it will give much longer life than the original.

In that same time, 2 lever spring failures and one transfer bar failure. The latter was replaced on the line at the 200 yard line in a SE Regional match with a part loaned from a new Shiloh rifle, in time to finish the relay without requiring additional time, and with a 100-4x, IIRC.

In all cases, the parts, free under warranty, were received from Shiloh within 4-5 days.

Clarence
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

One Shiloh since 1999, on third firing pin and third lever spring, incredible service!