main spring failure??

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

robertsm53

main spring failure??

Post by robertsm53 »

I have a Shiloh Sharps 45/70 that I purchased new in 2010. (Ser No. 5288B) A few years ago the main spring failed and you replaced it under the warranty, once I sent in the failed spring. Now the replacement spring is showing signs of failure, or at lease significant weakening, by allowing the lever to droop when the action is closed. The lever drops back down about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch after closing the action, and I believe that it is due to fail at any time. Is this a normal weak point in this design or does it indicate that there may be something else wrong that may need to be addressed? If it is a normal wear / weak point in the design I have no issues with getting this spring replaced and getting a second one to keep on hand so I can replace it when it fails, however if it indicates a problem that needs to be addressed I would like to sent the rifle back to you for inspection and possible repair or adjustment.

Please do not think I am "bad mouthing" your product in any way. I understand that this is old technology that is remanufactured with today's materials. This rifle is the cream of the crop and it is the show piece of my collection.

Thanks for your attention and assistance with this!
Bob M.
Retired USAF
NRA Life / Endowment
Brand new to BPCR
lots to learn
Lumpy Grits

Re: main spring failure??

Post by Lumpy Grits »

FP tip, and lever spring breakage are the 2 most common failures on Sharps '74's.
Why I carry spares of each..... :wink:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
BFD

Post by BFD »

Sending a gun to Shiloh for a new lever spring sure seems expensive. The springs are so easily replaced.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

BFD wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:17 pm Sending a gun to Shiloh for a new lever spring sure seems expensive. The springs are so easily replaced.
THIS x2 :!:

Call Shiloh with your serial number so they can be sure you get the correct spring for BBL size.
G.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Not being totally "hooked" on reflectors, bulletin boards, texting, and all that modern stuff, I often wonder why people post things like broken or sagging springs to here. The Shiloh Rifles are guaranteed for the life of the original owner. All my Shiloh rifles were made pre-Bryan and they still honor that guarantee. Instead of spinning wheels on a forum, Just call Shiloh and I think they will send you another one. By the way, I've never had any problem with springs in my 34 year old Shiloh rifles. Just broke one firing pin in all that time. Damn good product; damn good people.

George
Salmon, Idaho
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Well Geo-Not all of us are that lucky.
In my 16+ yrs of shooting our 2 Shiloh's.
I have broken 2 lever springs, and 1 firing pin tip.
Got a spare of each, 'cause Murphy is watching over me. :lol:
Stuff breaks.......... :P
G.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Well, to show what kind of luck I normally have-
In my first year with my Shiloh I had one lever spring break, one firing pin tip break, and one firing pin transfer bar wear out.
Somewhere past 3000 cartridges fired during that year though.
robertsm53

Post by robertsm53 »

Thanks all. I'll call Shiloh tomorrow

EDIT :BTW, I have changed the spring before as posted yes it is a cinch. just wanted to be sure there was no underlying cause that might need to be addressed. I had no intention of sending the rifle back just to change a spring. :D
Retired USAF
NRA Life / Endowment
Brand new to BPCR
lots to learn
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

My point was - - - Why moan on a forum when a simple phone call will get you a replacement spring. I've had a couple of the lever springs go flat on original Sharps, but never on any of my Shilohs.

George
robertsm53

Post by robertsm53 »

Didn't mean to sound like I was moaning

"Please do not think I am "bad mouthing" your product in any way. I understand that this is old technology that is remanufactured with today's materials. This rifle is the cream of the crop and it is the show piece of my collection.

Thanks for your attention and assistance with this!"

I thought that an answer could be provided when convenient to them, because I was in no rush.
Retired USAF
NRA Life / Endowment
Brand new to BPCR
lots to learn
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

You are actually talking about the lever spring, not the mainspring. When replacing it be careful to only tighten the screw until the lever closes easily. It does not need to be snappy tight. Overtightening it will only accelerate the wear and failure of the lever spring. As the lever spring begins to wear it may need to be tightened slightly to close the lever. That is the natural history of it until it breaks and is no longer able to hold the lever snug. The mainspring is part of the lock and is responsible for hammer fall. I own two 1874s, a 45-70 and a 45-2.6. I have had one lever spring failure and one firing pin break ever, in 20 years. Pretty damn good for a gun designed in the 1870s. I might add that the Bryan guns are built tighter, better and are of superior metallurgy. Please excuse my explanation. I am not a gunsmith, I only work on people!
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

ROBERT,
When you call, please ask for me and I will tell you how to put a lever spring in properly!!!!

Thanks to everyone else for all of the helpful tips, but the support page is for just that support!!!
The other pages are for everyone to have a group discussion about their shooting issues.
I don't have time to read through everybody's guesses to try to give the guy an answer to his original question.
After I get a chance to answer right away, then everyone else is more than welcome to chime in.

Thank You,
Kirk,
robertsm53

Post by robertsm53 »

Called Shiloh today ordered the spring along with the firing pin that is subject to breaking if the proper loading procedure is not followed. Kirk wasn't in at the time I called however he called me back within minuets. Kirk gave me the SPECIFIC instructions on replacing the troublesome spring. It a bit more involved than just screwing on the spring and cinching it down. Thanks again Kirk. Customer service is great
Retired USAF
NRA Life / Endowment
Brand new to BPCR
lots to learn
BFD

Post by BFD »

Cool. Hopefully, you will be around when/if mine breaks so you can show me the tricks.
CBarnard

Post by CBarnard »

Maybe Kirk or Robert could let us all know the correct way. I had to replace one some time back, did I do it correctly I wonder 🤔 I just tightened the screw and that was it or so I thought. I also lightly oiled where the spring touches the small roller.
Thanks in advance.
Chris 8)