Guilty pleasure.

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ian45662

Guilty pleasure.

Post by ian45662 »

How many of you guys are running pistol primers in your Shilohs? I love them and so does my Shiloh but I keep hearing stories about them damaging the breach block. I am headspacing them with construction paper so that in theory they won’t be slamming into the breach block.
Kenny Wasserburger

Re: Guilty pleasure.

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Ian,
I ran them in my 38-50 for years with no ill effects. Like you I headspaced them with filter paper.
It worked well. While I am no great shakes at silhouette anymore in Big bore. That combo earned me in 15 a scope midrange prone national title.

That above was good for perfect scores at 200 and 300 yards with decent X counts.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
semtav

Post by semtav »

My 40-82 loves pistol primers so I bit the bullet and bought a swaging tool from Kermit Hoke.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I talked to a couple fellas who have damaged their blocks with PIstol primers but they were NOT doing anything to headspace. Almost 500 rounds and my block still looks good but for them it was something that happened over time. One of them had to have his block replaced.
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Ian,
In the past, some mfg's have had some poor metallurgy and as a result you had some made with "soft" products. If you quiz the users, I would doubt they were a Shiloh product. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. FWIW................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
BFD

Post by BFD »

I don't do it, but I would worry about it more with rifles that have firing pin holes that are slanted. The top of the pin hole will be thinner and less supported than the top of the hole.

So far, I've not found them to be a solution to any problem I've had. I am considering trying magnum primers actually.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Back when I was shooting my highwall all the time I was running the Fed 210 match primers and they were doing real good. I was almost out and couldn’t find any so I ordered a case of the Fed Large pistol match primers. Didn’t have time to test them before a match so I used a silhouette shoot in McDonald pa to test them out. I shot my first 34 that day and it was the very first time I cleaned the sticks. I was all to happy to start using the pistol primers and the highwall shows no sign of any issues. So far the Shiloh is not showing any sign of breach block damage either and the groups are right where I want them to be. For the most part that is.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Kirk has posted here about it and said not to do it. I have shot a lot of them in my .40-65, but this is with Remington brass that has shallow primer pockets that only work with pistol primers. I do have a Shiloh that, to my knowledge, has only been shot by the previous owner with pistol primers, but with a wad in the pocket to space out the primer.

Chris.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I use a wad in the pocket of my cases also. Brings the primer almost flush with the case.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

Do you rely on the primer to pierce the 'wad'? Coffee filter ok for the wad?
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

The construction paper is placed between the primer and the case. When the primer is pushed into the primer pocket it cuts the paper and the primer pushes the paper up into the primer pocket.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I loaded up 170 rounds with pistol primers for the shoot in Georgia.