Shiloh identification

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SharpsBig50

Shiloh identification

Post by SharpsBig50 »

I found a Sharps at a local shop with a serial number of 75xx(I cant remember the last two digits), the rifle is chambered in 44/77.

The tag has a reference to Shiloh and the chambering but other than a serial # I don’t see a maker on the receiver and I’m thinking it may be an older rifle, the serial number is right in front of the loading slot on the receiver.

How were the older guns marked? I’m headed back to shop on Monday to possibly purchase it, tHe rifle is in very nice shape and has a mirror like bore and a very attractive price and the chambering that I wanted for my next rifle.
rdnck

Re: Shiloh identification

Post by rdnck »

A picture would help. rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

Sounds like a Shiloh Farmingdale, NY. Mfg. Look on the left side of the receiver should say "Shiloh Products" or Shiloh Mfg. or something to that effect. I don't have mine handy to look at to be sure.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
James

Post by James »

I believe that serial # would make it, if it’s a Shiloh, one made by Wolfgang in Big Timber. All Shilohs were marked on the left side of the receiver and if it has the original barrel will be marked on the top of the barrel.
There’s no horse so dead it can’t be beat a bit more.
SharpsBig50

Post by SharpsBig50 »

Slight update, I bought the rifle today. I was able to find the Shiloh markings on the rifle and it was made in big timber(damn old man eyes). I’ll get a few picks posted up Soon.

Tell me about the 44-77!

I currently own a C. Sharps in 50 2 1/2” and shoot it buffalo hunter style with PP bullets and barrel sights.

This Shiloh rifle has a tang sight, barrel sights and globe front which I will likely change back to a blade.
SharpsBig50

Post by SharpsBig50 »

Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

Good looking rifle! 44-77 will quickly grow on you. Try OE 2fg and a traditional RN Sharps style bullet and you will be pleased with the performance. I use 75 grains with a 480 grain traditional bullet and a 440 grain bullet with a slight flat nose for hunting. Both are from Brook's molds and cast very nice bullets. I do use thin cards and a grease cookie in my loads. May take a bit of scrounging for the brass but you will like it!
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

A guy with the handle “Ol’ Reliable” was selling .44-77 brass on the ASSRA web site. You might check and see if he still has some.
SharpsBig50

Post by SharpsBig50 »

Anyone know what the factory front sight dovetail size is? I’m going to get a blade front sight.

Thanks!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Buffalo Arms is selling reformed brass for the 44-77. Call Shiloh and order a blade front.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I owned a rifle identical =to yours, but in .45-70, with a serial # in the 78xx range. It was made in Big Timber by Wolfgang, as another poster indicated, and finely accurate, although not ideal for silhouette because of the military butt.

In that era, some rifles had very long throats; check yours out before you start loading for it.

Clarence