Model 1870 firing pin

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

hatman

Model 1870 firing pin

Post by hatman »

Hello,
I have an opportunity to acquire a Model 1870 Springfield Sharps trials rifle in 50-70. I've read that during the trials quite a few firing pin breakages occurred. I'm wondering if I do get this rifle, would Shiloh 1874 firing pins work or would I need to make a customized pin?
Thank you.
firefighter1990

Re: Model 1870 firing pin

Post by firefighter1990 »

If it's the same configuration as an original 1874 sharps then there's a few options. First is: you can have a compitent gunsmith stub the existing firing pin with a more modern steel. Second option is to look into C Sharps or Perdersoli as I believe both still utilize the one piece firing pin design. Thrid option is to have either Shiloh or C sharps build you a new breach block around their own firing mechanism.

Shiloh saw a design flaw in the original one-piece-dog-leg firing pin mechanism decades ago and went about improving it. The traditional one piece large firing pin was prone to breaking from lateral play and the large diameter of the firing pin coming through the block at an angle rendered the amount of steel around the firing pin hole on the face of the block to be thin and peen inwards with the use of modern primers. They went to a smaller diameter pin for more strength on the block face and a two piece design consisting of the pin and the transfer bar to alleviate lateral play on the pin itself.

The old Farmingdale Shilohs had the historically correct pins and the two farmers I have now wear the updated blocks and pins. If you do swap out parts and upgrade. Just hold on to the original parts to preserve the integrity of the antique in case you ever decide to sell it.
hatman

Re: Model 1870 firing pin

Post by hatman »

Thanks for the info, firefighter.
I'll contact C Sharps and go from there.