40/70 2.1 BN

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bullit

40/70 2.1 BN

Post by Bullit »

I'm new here and looking for some advice. I have a Shiloh Sharps 40/70 2.1 BN (short neck) with a 26" barrel. My vernier sights are 2.5" in height. I have about 80 rounds that were loaded 30 years ago. Most are smokeless 3031 with some polyfill in the cases and some are Pyrodex RS. Now the ones that are smokeless have a PP bullet that weights 322 gr. and is .155 inch across at the tip, loaded with 36 gr. of IMR 3031. What would the gent I bought the gun and ammo from use these for? The ones that have Pyrodex in launch a 396 gr., six banded GG, with the same dimension across the tip, 40 gr. of Pyrodex plus what appears to be 2 wads inside between bullet and powder. What would he use this cartridge setup for? All of these rounds are loaded except the two I pulled the bullets from to get an idea of what's going on. Should I pull all the rounds and start over with fresh powder,paper, etc. Also with the barrel length and sight height what type of competition would this gun be more attuned too? I know he used it for hunting but I think he did some competitive shooting too. I just don't know what kind. I would like to use it for both. Also I had read somewhere about the dangers of polyfill in the cartridges, damaging the chamber, is this true? I don't want to damage my gun. I would like to load with Old Eynsford and I need recommendations for a good mould maker and bullet weight. Three hundred ninety six gr. seems kind of heavy to me for a 40 but I don't know what he was using it for.
Kirk

Re: 40/70 2.1 BN

Post by Kirk »

It's too much to type for all of your questions. I would have no idea why the guy loaded cartridges 30 years ago.

Call Me, I'll tell you all about that cartridge and why it hasn't been chambered for almost 30 years.

Thanks,
Kirk,
bobw

Post by bobw »

The Crossno 40-65 liner to convert to 22Lr fits the 40-70 2.1" chamber just fine. Bought mine from Shiloh. Bobw
bobw
Bullit

Post by Bullit »

Oh, I forgot to ask you, what lead mixture do you shoot, 1:20, 1:30 or something else? I think my bore is a .401 and if I patch a .392 up to a .399 will the bullet bump up enough to fill the grooves if I'm using one of the above mixtures?
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Any of those alloys will work for most anything
You don’t really say what your plan with it is. But for just plinking and having fun a 60-70-1 ratio of tin works fine or 1/2&1/2 we & lead. Anything cheap is more fun than shooting 20$ a pound tin for me.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T