question on 40/70 2.1 BN

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bullit

question on 40/70 2.1 BN

Post by Bullit »

I'm new here and looking for some advice. I have a Shiloh Sharps 40/70 2.1 BN (short neck) with a 26" barrel. My vernier sights are 2.5" in height. I have about 80 rounds that were loaded 30 years ago. Most are smokeless 3031 with some polyfill in the cases and some are Pyrodex RS. Now the ones that are smokeless have a PP bullet that weights 322 gr. and is .155 inch across at the tip, loaded with 36 gr. of IMR 3031. What would the gent I bought the gun and ammo from use these for? The ones that have Pyrodex in launch a 396 gr., six banded GG, with the same dimension across the tip, 40 gr. of Pyrodex plus what appears to be 2 wads inside between bullet and powder. What would he use this cartridge setup for? All of these rounds are loaded except the two I pulled the bullets from to get an idea of what's going on. Should I pull all the rounds and start over with fresh powder,paper, etc. Also with the barrel length and sight height what type of competition would this gun be more attuned too? I know he used it for hunting but I think he did some competitive shooting too. I just don't know what kind. I would like to use it for both. Also I had read somewhere about the dangers of polyfill in the cartridges, damaging the chamber, is this true? I don't want to damage my gun. I would like to load with Old Eynsford and I need recommendations for a good mould maker and bullet weight. Three hundred ninety six gr. seems kind of heavy to me for a 40 but I don't know what he was using it for.