40 caliber questions

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

august west

Re: 40 caliber questions

Post by august west »

Kurt wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:28 pm August,

The .405 Win brass you will have to do some work with even if you use the PP bullets. PP works fine with the thick case wall necks but the base bets to be a problem in the Shiloh chamber. The Harnady cases will stick about a 1/4" out of the chamber by average and you won't close the breach. I solved that by cutting a Lyman sizing down at the opening all the way to the threads and I used a Corbin swage press with a shell holder I made for the ram and I pushed the case all the way into the die till the rim made contact with the die and used a brass drift pin to drive the case back out of the die. When the base was swaged down to fit the chamber some cases needed to have the head thinned down so the breach block would close. Later I ended making a swage die for this job.

I been using the same .30-40 cases going on 20 years and it still works just fine.

Kurt
Thanks very much Kurt - good advice and I appreciate it. I've tried to contact BACO several times about these cases, even asking what the minimum number needed to order was, for him to make a run for me, but I guess he's been too busy like everyone else. I know this isn't the cheapest or maybe the easiest way, but lots of other people including Mike Venturino use 405 cases in various chambers with brass of various sources, and I'll give it a shot with new brass and a custom reamer designed around it for paper patch use. Shouldn't be too awfully difficult and when I'm done I'll have a lifetime supply of thick healthy cases and a rifle they fit perfectly.

Next time I'll get a 45-70. :D
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes