Question on sights

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

losttrail

Question on sights

Post by losttrail »

Time is clicking along for receiving notification from Shiloh on the build start of my Quigley. Excitement is building, hope I don't explode.

I already have a C. Sharps 1875 in .40-65. It came to me with Kelley LR Soule tang sight and Kelley Standard front w/spirit level. I have come to love these sights and the adjustability they provide, although shooting the Q in Forsyth, one can always use more windage.

For the Quigley rifle, I would like to have the same exact sights, but won't be dropping another $1k on sights if I want to keep myself out of the ground prematurely.

So I am debating upgrading the Q sights from the MVA #108 and #111 to the #103 and #113 respectively. Thoughts?

Also contemplating the addition of the Full Buckhorn. I hope to use this for LR and some hunting.

Thanks

Jerry
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
Army Veteran, Tank Commander
Kirk

Re: Question on sights

Post by Kirk »

That is a great idea, you will have plenty of wind with the 103 buff soule. The buckhorn however will not work with the 113 very well due to the 113 height.
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

Thanks Kirk, that's what I was afraid of on the buckhorn with the 113.
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
38-72

Post by 38-72 »

Both brands are great sights. Do know if the knobs turn in the same direction on both sights? If not, you will make the mistake of turning the one knob or the other the wrong way. It will happen as sure as the sun comes up tomorrow.
See the other Washington, Eastern!
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

Jerry
You can use the rear barrel sight with the 113 front sight. Install a post insert but you have to flip up the ladder because the front sight is so tall. Just be sure to remove the vernier sight while using the barrel sight if you want to keep your eye.
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

77 sharps wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:27 am Jerry
You can use the rear barrel sight with the 113 front sight. Install a post insert but you have to flip up the ladder because the front sight is so tall. Just be sure to remove the vernier sight while using the barrel sight if you want to keep your eye.
Yes, those rear tang sights can be wicked. Thanks for the thought of a ladder sight.
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member