Lawrence Sight Option?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Griff

Lawrence Sight Option?

Post by Griff »

I seem to remember hearing that a Lawrence style rear sight is a non cataloged option from Shiloh, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to iron out the details for the rifle I ordered last August. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm joining the ranks of those trying to duplicate an early "typical" buffalo rifle and I'd like to try to match the sight design if possible. I already have a Distant Thunder tang sight ready to go.

Thanks.

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
Eric Johanen

Re: Lawrence Sight Option?

Post by Eric Johanen »

They are available. I believe Shiloh try to keep some on hand for requests. I have mounted 3 of the long staff rifle sights on my 50-70 Military Rifle, My 44-77 Hartford heavy barrel and a C. Sharps 50-90 #2 heavy barrel (my "Lucrezia" buffalo rifle.) Great sights and are easy to carry in the hand. Don"t get poked by the sight ears of the semi or full buckhorns. More elevation than one could ever use. If you want one give Shiloh a call.
august west

Post by august west »

I've also heard they keep them at Shiloh. I've specified one for my next rifle and will for the one after that, too. You can also get a hand crank grain mill for the stock if you ask nice. (That was a joke...)
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

Coffee grinder was pretty much a failed idea, However a patch box would look very nice on an early buffalo rifle.
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

You could contact Stephen Broud about one of his Hartford front sights. Very nice on a early Sharps rifle.
Griff

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the replies, gents! I'd ask for the coffee mill, but I never learned to like coffee. Maybe I could put tea in a patch box...

Does Stephen Broud frequent this forum or is there another way to find out more about his sights?

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

He posts occasionally here but more often on the Historic Shooting forum. They are a bit pricy but well worth the cost to have a accurate period sight on your Hartford rifle.
august west

Post by august west »

I just took delivery of one for my next rifle and it's a gorgeous piece of work.
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
Griff

Post by Griff »

Thanks again, folks!

Planning, waiting, researching, making decisions, waiting, changing my mind, waiting, making more decisions, waiting... Ah, the time between placing the order and finalizing the perimeters -- such sweet sorrow.

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

Griff, Hurts so good don't it? My 44-770 was a buffalo/hunting rifle from the get go. My soon to arrive 77 I did change a few things before it entered production A little adjustment on the finish and a change on the barrel chambering. It's all part of the fun!
TAA

Post by TAA »

Period accurate rear sight. I bought a Lawrence ladder sight from Shiloh a few years back.

Would it be be accurate for a Bridgeport version of a Sharps? I have the sight but have not installed it yet.

Thanks!

Tom
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

Yes. Most rifles from the Bridgeport period seem to be fitted with a blade front rather than the Hartford post. If you ask Stephen for a Hartford ask for a bronze post best for all light conditions. Do really like them!
bobw

Post by bobw »

In 2016 my name was drawn for the Shiloh at the Q and I was there to receive it. A Montana roughrider with a full buckhorn rear. A friend had previously given me a Lawrence ladder rear sight for a rd barrel military rifle, the staff on the Lawrence is some taller than the full buckhorn but it would drop right in place with some mods. And the right sight chair. So I ground the sharp edges off the bottom of the base and attached it to my oct barrel. A little time with my 45 load ballistic chart the dial caliper and moa to sight movement in inches equation had it adj to the right place for the 1000 yd targets a month later. Kurt spotted for me .I missed the 1 st shot and connected on $2 &#3. The buckhorn isn' t tall enough for 1000 yd shooting but the Lawrence is :) bobw
bobw
pete

Post by pete »

Yea Bob looked like a little kid that day :roll: :D . Of course I would have too. Anyway I have the Lawrence carbine version on my Hartford hunting rifle and I like it. The flat top doesn't cover up the animal. Although they were mainly military sights The Sharps Firearms Early Metallic Cartridge Firearms book has photos of both the rifle and carbine versions on Sporting Rifles. BTW they were all Lawrence sights not just the ones we now call the Lawrence. The modern "Lawrence" was called the Low Notch. The Semi Buckhorn was the High Notch and then the Buckhorn.
I enlarged the V notch which helped the view of the front sight,
bobw

Post by bobw »

Hey Pete good to hear from you. One thing anybody contemplating a Lawrence for barrel sight use is that when they are laid flat for under 200 they barely clear the top of the receiver in height where receiver is arched over the chamber. Definitely not one would consider high profile. As a matter of fact 2 days a go I was handling an original Business rifle in 45 2.1" it was equipped with what Sharps called the knife blade front sight and a Lawrence rear and just as low as you can get one when folded down. Guy only wanted the price of 2 New well equipped Shilohs for it. But it sure felt good.... bobw
bobw