Safety on used firearms

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RCS58

Safety on used firearms

Post by RCS58 »

I am considering the purchase of a used 1874 carbine in 45/70. The specific firearm has been extensively used with smokeless factory and smokeless hand loads. Could these continued pressures present any metal fatigue or stress issues and possible future safety issues? Or if it locks up tight, is all fine for normal use with both BP and smokeless?

Also, any plans for new 1874 military carbines? That would solve any problem!
august west

Re: Safety on used firearms

Post by august west »

While you can't say for sure, factory loads will almost certainly not pose a risk, as the majority of factory 45-70 is loaded with old rifles in mind. But there are more and more "guide guns" out there, and there may well be hot factory ammunition for them. There are several stories of rifles blowing up at matches using smokeless. Classic 405 grain Remington ammo, the standard stuff you find in hardware stores all across the fruited plain, is about 1900 fps at the muzzle. Most black powder loads are in the 1200-1300 range. I still wouldn't worry a bit about using Remington or similar ammo. Hornady has some hotter stuff but it's still in the 2000 fps range, and they mostly depend on very light bullets to advertise higher velocities out of lever action rifles. Can you talk to the previous owner? Ask him what factory ammo he used. Can you ask him what typical handloads he used? Most of us keep this data. A lot of people think they shoot more than they actually do, and he may not have put that many rounds through it. Check his figures and see how far he pushed the envelope. With that small rifle and sharp metal butt plate, I'm betting he didn't send too many thumpers down range! :shock:

Industry standard chamber pressure for the 45-70 is 28,000 c.u.p. Most factory ammo stays in the 20,000 range. Shiloh will chamber a rifle for you in 30-40 Krag, which has a standard pressure of 40,000. So there you go, I guess?
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

Kirk had mentioned to me one time that his Shiloh's will shoot anything that can be shot in a Ruger #1.
bobw

Post by bobw »

You did not specify what brand of gun you are asking opinions about, is it a Shiloh? Or some brand ex spaghetti gun? Try to be more specific and pick up the phone and call Shiloh about their gun if it is in fact one of theirs. I am sure they won't give you an opinion on the strength of someone else's firearm. Bobw
bobw
RCS58

Post by RCS58 »

It’s a Shiloh 1874 carbine with a serial number in the 9000’s. As best I can tell that makes its manufacturer about 1989. It appears really nice in all regards but the seller keeps saying ‘as is’ and ‘no returns or inspection period’. For payment he wants cash or cashiers check. All that to say I’m looking for what I can’t see in the photos.

Probably more than needed...
RCS58

Post by RCS58 »

I found another Shiloh that appears cleaner and from a more responsive seller. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for all the help and comments. Appreciate it!