Barrel fouling

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BFD

Re: Barrel fouling

Post by BFD »

One or two great groups does not accuracy make. We all have great groups but we don't all have them on demand. Accuracy is having it on demand.

It's there for anyone to try. Shoot dirty, barrel sights, paper patches and win or at least finish consistently in the top handful. It is a pretty simple formula. I've been waiting a long time to see it. After many years, the number of shooters that can and do shoot paper patches competitively is still pretty small. Not one of them shoots dirty or with barrel sights.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Brent--Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean that someone else can't. Don't base what you think someone else can do on your own substandard expectations. You know, come to think of it, I've never seen even one of your targets, or seen where you hold a range record anywhere at any distance. rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
BFD

Post by BFD »

rdnck wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:37 pm Brent--Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean that someone else can't. Don't base what you think someone else can do on your own substandard expectations. You know, come to think of it, I've never seen even one of your targets, or seen where you hold a range record anywhere at any distance. rdnck.
Just show up and let's shoot. You shoot your way, I'll shoot mine. Let's see who wins. Lodi is about 5 weeks out. See you there.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Here is a target for you to contemplate.

How much money do you want to wager on this match?

Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Nice looking Hiwall Brent! Great target as well!
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Damn Brent...that's a pretty gun. Nice group. I know you're good shooting silhouette, I've seen it, and I've never shot a Paper target match with a BPCR rifle. I think i have read , on here maybe, that some folks consider themselves really hot dog paper shooters but don't do well on steel silhouettes out to 500 meters..I wonder why that is ??
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Glen--I don't know how to post pictures, but I have some photos here of groups shot on silhouettes that will open your eyes and break your heart if you want to see them. They were shot with both barrel and tang sights. I'll have to wait until my wife gets in this afternoon to send them to someone who can post them. They were shot with my 45-70 Shiloh Roughrider and my Shiloh 45-70 Business Rifle. If someone wants to post five or six pictures for Glen to see, pm me a phone number to send them to and maybe we can expand his horizons a little bit. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

No need to post pics for me. ..I quit shooting paper decades ago and only shoot reactive targets..like steel or clay birds. I KNOW Brent can shoot steel, but to an old pistol competitor like me the first thing my brain says is..Nice group..out of the x-ring though.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

About what I suspected. rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

rdnck wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:18 am Glen--I don't know how to post pictures, but I have some photos here of groups shot on silhouettes that will open your eyes and break your heart if you want to see them. They were shot with both barrel and tang sights. I'll have to wait until my wife gets in this afternoon to send them to someone who can post them. They were shot with my 45-70 Shiloh Roughrider and my Shiloh 45-70 Business Rifle. If someone wants to post five or six pictures for Glen to see, pm me a phone number to send them to and maybe we can expand his horizons a little bit. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Heck I would like to see them, but am in the same boat on picture posting.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

rdnck wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:18 am Glen--I don't know how to post pictures, but I have some photos here of groups shot on silhouettes that will open your eyes and break your heart if you want to see them. They were shot with both barrel and tang sights. I'll have to wait until my wife gets in this afternoon to send them to someone who can post them. They were shot with my 45-70 Shiloh Roughrider and my Shiloh 45-70 Business Rifle. If someone wants to post five or six pictures for Glen to see, pm me a phone number to send them to and maybe we can expand his horizons a little bit. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Heck I would like to see them, but am in the same boat on picture posting.
bryany

Post by bryany »

This thread started by a guy asking about getting his barrel conditioned before his first shot and ended up in a pissing match about who can shoot dirty and hold minute of Buick accuracy. Maybe we should put a disclaimer on these posts that they are only opinions and information that works for each of us and not intended as the only way to skin a cat.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

BFD wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:57 pmLodi is about 5 weeks out. See you there.
Not shooting the NMLRA 2-day 1000yd 5x-10 shot match at Camp Atterbury middle of Sept? Easy day's drive for you.
Glenn
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I agree Bryan. Exchanging information on here is very cool and I continue to learn things about black Powder cartridge shooting. As in every pursuit I have taken up, when someone answers my question with " You're never gonna do well unless......" That information is automatically rejected. There are always several ways to accomplish a task..and those ways may not fit everyone and their equipment. Jeanne and I monitor posts every day so we can continue to learn. Her New 40-65 will be delivered today so we are REALLY liking BPCR sports and are learning new things every day.

Those challenges between folks on here do give me hope that I'm still trying to be competitive when I reach their age .
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

FWIW to original poster and other readers.

One 45-90 I shoot in Long Range competition seems to prefer a couple of shots down the bore before it "settles". Not a scientific basis, just an apparent characteristic of that particular rifle. It has a half round half octagonal 1-16 twist 34" Krieger Barrel. Another 45-90 with a 1-18 twist 34" Badger Barrel half round half octagonal does not present that characteristic "but" I make sure the first two or three shots down the tube at a match are sighters just in case it changes it's mind, (Mental consistency thingy).

Normally, I do not clean between relays.

A third 45-90 with 34" GM 1-17 twist heavy round does not seem to present that characteristic nor does a 44-2.6 34" 1-18 twist round Badger or a 44-2.4 32" round 1-16 twist Krieger.

How do I know? The targets told me. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!