choice for first shiloh

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

cpt.creedmoor

choice for first shiloh

Post by cpt.creedmoor »

Kirk and others, i have made the decision to order my first shiloh, i have 3 pedersolis and an armi sport, i have zero complaints with them but want to upgrade to the best. my question is this, im wanting to get into the comp side of things and of course would need to keep weight to the 12lb 2oz limit...i have to keep it as reasonable as possible so no fancy wood or finishes....i just need a working gun with no frills, im thinkin shotgun butt and a pistol grip for sure.

but what model?
what barrel length?
im leaning towards a 45-2.4 or 2.6 or?

i have a 40-65, 45-70, 45-120 and a 50-70 that someone punched out to 50-140

would one of the bigger 40's or 44's serve me better or just stick with a 45 90/100?

i could use one of my others but just really want a shiloh...if for no other reason than to just have one...lol

ok all you vets...educate me please
Those who long for peace must prepare for war
gunlaker

Re: choice for first shiloh

Post by gunlaker »

If you want to get into competition that will narrow down your cartridge and model choices quickly. Are you looking at silhouette or target rifle ( mid or long range )?

You won't go wrong with a #1, Long Range Express, or Rough Rider model. For silhouette you'll be quite happy with a .40-65 or .45-70. For target rifle I'd pick a .45-2.4" with a 32" barrel and make it as heavy as possible. If I wanted to do all of them with the same rifle, it'd be a .45-70 with a 30" heavy barrel.

Shiloh can help you with the options to make the weight you need. Just tell them exactly what you want to do with the rifle.

Chris.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

#1, in .45-90, 28-30" hvy bbl with MVA L/R Buffalo Soule and #113 front.
Love mine :wink:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
cpt.creedmoor

Post by cpt.creedmoor »

thank yall for the replies, i want it to be a dual purpose rig....i have RBGC about 2 hrs south for my sillywet and mid range and oak ridge about 2 hrs north for my long range, thats why i was leaning towards a 45-90.

here is what i have thought of so far

LRE, 45-2.4, 30-32" half oct barrel, plain wood, maybe a pewter tip...maybe, no rear dovetail, rubber butt plate...will wait and see if Kirk chimes in with a weight for that, if not i will give them a call and see

once again thanks for the input for a newb
james
Those who long for peace must prepare for war
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

FWIW, from your description of anticipated use and #1 or LRE 30 inch heavy, chambered in 45-90, altho the Oak Ridge match is only once a year, and there are more silhouette matches available, so the 45-70 would serve well.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

If you get the 45-70 you can use the “standard” loads for silhouette and if your so inclined you can load up to about the same lever as a 90 with paper patch loads. Are you coming to the big regional in November?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

cpt.creedmoor wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:50 pm thank yall for the replies, i want it to be a dual purpose rig....i have RBGC about 2 hrs south for my sillywet and mid range and oak ridge about 2 hrs north for my long range, thats why i was leaning towards a 45-90.

here is what i have thought of so far

LRE, 45-2.4, 30-32" half oct barrel, plain wood, maybe a pewter tip...maybe, no rear dovetail, rubber butt plate...will wait and see if Kirk chimes in with a weight for that, if not i will give them a call and see

once again thanks for the input for a newb
james
You will want the pistol grip butt stock and cheek rest of the #1 to help with recoil.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
bobw

Post by bobw »

You asked. The rubber butt is more of a plastic than rubber. The only reason original Sharps target rifles had a rubber butt was to help keep the weight under 10 lbs limit, they do nothing for recoil reduction.The steel checkered butt is the only way to go. Number 2 get the rear dovetail and semi or full buckhorn rear sight. #3 The cheek piece is of no benefit the pistol grip stock of the montana roughrider is of the same dimensions and will be easier to install a comb height extender for long range shooting. #4 30" hb barrel is plenty, especially so if you need the gun to work for offhand. I haven't told you to buy any fluff that most Shiloh shooters have and are fond of.That's between you and your budget but the reason for the checkered steel shotgun butt and rear dovetail and sight are damn simple. At sometime in a fellows future he might have to move on from his material possessions and need to resell the rifle the no rear sight and plastic butt will hurt it's value to others and reduce the number of potential buyers. It has to be the gun of their dreams also. Pewter forend tips are a nice option. Whether you go 45-70 or 45-90 is your choice but have them put a 7* leade in it when it is being built. that will let you use either gg or paper patch bullets at your choice effectively.
bobw
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

If you want a cheek piece go with the LRE or #1, they are essentially the same. No cheek piece get the Rough Rider. Pewter tips are heavy, the ebony tip is just as nice and lighter in weight or just go with the standard tip. I had a 32" heavy Oct in 45/70 that weighed 12 lb 9 oz with a plastic butt plate and standard tip. I had to cut it to 30" and turn half round to make silhouette weight.. A 30" heavy half should make weight with the right wood. You should not need a cartridge any heavier than the 45-2.4 for any of your shooting unless you really want one. Jim Ratcliffe shoots a 45-2.6 for everything and does really well with it but he is an exception. The 45/70 is the 1st choice of many shooters for a reason and that is availability of components and ease of getting one shooting accurately.

Talk to Kirk about the wood and options and the need to make silhouette weight and he will make sure you get what you need.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Something else to consider would be what rate of twist might you want. The 45-70 with their standard chamber will get you in the sillywet game and the long range game. My 45s all have 16 twists and I really like that twist. Some like the 18s. The 16 twist is a very small jump in price but IMHO it is worth it. I am being presumptuous though in assuming you will opt for the 70. My next shiloh will be a 16 twist 45-100 with a standard chamber and 32” barrel. Plane Jane rifle that I will use just for my long range stuff. It will probably be to heavy for silhouette but like my other shiloh it will be just a paper patch rifle.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Don't rule out the 77 #2 english gun as a long range rifle either. I'm really liking it so far.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

GET A #1 SPORTER IN 45/70 GET NO EXTRAS EXCEPT HAND SELECT ON THE STANDARD WOOD . THERE ARE MOLDS AVAILABLE WITH REDUCED DRIVING BANDS THAT WILL GET YOU TO 80 GRAINS OF SWISS WHEN YOU SHOOT LONG RNGE. RECOIL IS YOUR ENEMY AT SIL. AND MID RANGE. SHOOT STANDARD 68 GRAIN LOADS THEN ART
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Or get a 45-90 since you don't have one and they are historic in every way. I'd error on the side of more case capacity than less; you can always put less powder in...
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

I have three 45-2.4's. The rest are any wheres from 38-55 to 45-110. No doubt if I could only have one it would be a 45-90 hands down.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

I have three 45-2.4's. The rest are anwheres from 38-55 to 45-110. No doubt if I could only have one it would be a 45-90 hands down.