Slugging the barrel Questions

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Cholla

Slugging the barrel Questions

Post by Cholla »

I have an older Shiloh Sharps. I am going to slug the barrel to find the exact size. Sounds simple but I read recently that some long-range barrels are choked down at the muzzle. Has anyone run into this? If that is true I assume I need to slug the barrel a short distance from the breech and then push it back out the breech.
bryany

Re: Slugging the barrel Questions

Post by bryany »

I slugged mine from both ends. Push it in several inches from the breech and then push it back out the same way. Same trick with the muzzle. I'm not sure I could measure any choke with a hand held micrometer but I agree there is a minuet choke in the barrel.

Take your time, use plenty of oil or other lubricant.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Cerrosafe is a very good option!! you can then check your chamber as well!!
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Use pure lead for the 'slug'.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Tyker

Post by Tyker »

Having been gun-smithing for 4 plus decades I'm trying to imagine how a broach or button or whatever would become smaller as it was drawn through a barrel and eventually resalt in a decreased barrel bore...??
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Hand lapping from the breech end will do it. My slightly choked at the muzzle barrels shoot quite well.

Usually, I used a pure lead slug about an inch or so long driven all the way through from the breech end to determine groove and bore diameter.

I wrap a thick cloth around the muzzle to catch the slug on exit.

Mostly satisfied curiosity as the rifle doesn't seem to care and as one of my hard holding shooting partners says, the barrel will make the bullet round before it leaves the muzzle.

I worry over bullet fit in fired case and to chamber more than anything else. Case separations are to be avoided.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Anyone drop in certified plug gages to measure the lands and an inside micrometer for the groove depths?
Regards
John
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Anyone drop in certified plug gages to measure the lands and an inside micrometer for the groove depths?
Regards
John
kcstott

Post by kcstott »

John Boy wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:54 pm Anyone drop in certified plug gages to measure the lands and an inside micrometer for the groove depths?
I have a set of minus gage pins. that how I do it. I don't really care what the groove diameter is as paper patch to bore diameter anyway.