Shiloh 77 finally received !

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Eric Johanen

Shiloh 77 finally received !

Post by Eric Johanen »

Picked up from my FFL on Saturday and have been enjoying the stunning look of the gun and the stock blank I sent Shiloh. Beautiful rifle. Set up my case size die and the cases slip in and extract like greased weasels from Manson match chamber reamer. Mounted the Distant Thunder long range front and a MVA long range Soule rear. Working up my brass ready to put up my first test loads. Good times! One question: breech removal for cleaning. Looks like the block lever link screw can be removed and the block removed from the top. Is this the correct procedure? I can not wait to get it on the range.
powderburner

Re: Shiloh 77 finally received !

Post by powderburner »

Man are you excited. And yes thats what kirk told me to do to remove the block.
Congradulations. You will really like it.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

Thank's Dean I waited a very long time to get this rifle delivered rifle. 7 is my number so this is the last one and the best.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

PICTURES :D
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

What cartridge? Is the rifle chamber from Manson? I have a 50-90 by Dave Higginbotham. I did not want his long freebore chamber so I had Dave Manson make a tight neck, no freebore chamber reamer for Lonestar to use. He also cut me a reamer for the corresponding cartridge full length sizing die.I ended up with a very accurate 50-90.Your rifle should shoot great. Shiloh builds great stuff! I also have a Distant Thunder long range muzzle sight with a MVA XLR soule on my upcoming 1/14 twist 40-90bn target rifle. Great stuff.
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

Mike, the reamer is Brent Danielson's match chamber. You can see a print with a search. I downloaded that print and sent it off the Manson for the reamer. They did a very good job holding dimensions on that reamer! 45-70 and am using Starline Brass same as Brent. Seating the bullet shallow in the case. Tight fit and I expect is will open up a bit once the brass is fireformed. I do have a Meachem bushing die with several sized bushings so should be able to get the bullet fit just right in the fireformed cases. I have everything set up to load my first loads. Just need to get to it. Will make adjustments when I have fireformed brass to work with.
Weather should be good toward the end of next week and hope to get on the range.
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

Took the rifle to a quick 200 yard steel match Saturday and since I was having balance problems and my left hand was twitching badly I had my good friend Rick fire the first shots down range. ( He really liked the new gun!) No zero and just a fire form load, put a swag on for elevation with no windage and sent the 1'st round down the range. Hit the chain supporting the regulation ram above the horn and made adjustments from there. 4'th shot resulted in a central body hit just above the center line. Very pleased to see that it works as intended. Fire formed brass measures .500 just ahead of the rim and .474 at the mouth. Length increased a few thousands, I think since the brass can not move radially it moves forward a bit. It will accept a .450 patched bullet but no larger. Now I can get to work and begin load development. I really like this Shiloh 77!