45-70 chambering issues.

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

VenisonRX

Re: 45-70 chambering issues.

Post by VenisonRX »

I can verify no compression with the bullet. Went back and remeasured everything and a bunch of unloaded bullets and they were pretty consistently .450 for both. My original .451 was incorrect. Sounds like the going preference is .449? I also checked for leading as I bought this rifle used. It has a B at the end of the serial number. My carbine with no B was able to shoot 4 or 5 rounds before needing any help. Same goes for my H&R trapdoor.

I was able to load a second shot into the Hartford with a little blowing. Had to try to get my face around the scope since I don’t have a blow tube so it wasn’t the best ever. It’s possible it could have a custom chamber? That was never mentioned when I bought it but the rear sight dovetail is larger than normal to accommodate the RHO scope that was put on it (came with irons installed and the scope separate. You could see underneath the rear iron sight base in the dovetail) But I doubt it’s a custom chamber.

Where can you get BACO molds? I read about them all the time but I can’t find them.
—Tom
TGC

Post by TGC »

Baco molds are available at buffalo arms company, Sandpoint idaho.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

To start drill a hole in one case 3/8 in dia. And go to the hardware store and get a ft of 3/8 plastic tube. Insert it into the case and you have you a blow tube. Insert. The case in the chamber and blow 3-5 deep breaths down the bore. Using the case puts the moisture in the barrel and keeps the chamber dry.
Size the case so its a loose fit in the chamber. With it what you have will probably work for you just fine til you WANT a new or different mould
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
DAG4570

Post by DAG4570 »

Powderburner is correct but it my take as many as 6 to 9 hot breaths to keep the powder fouling soft if your rifle barrel is hot or the weather where you are shooting is hot. I lost a match on the last three rounds because I didn't keep track of the heat in my rifle barrel and fouled out.

Dave
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

An easy check to see if you are hydrated when blowing is first look at your muzzle, it will be grey. Then blow. It should turn black and greasy, watch it and count til it turns grey again that will give you how long you can take for a shot. This is just rough but does hold true.
It will tell you how many breaths it takes.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

I am happy to report that blowing/wiping between shots was the solution. Made a blow tube following powderburner’s instructions. I full length resized the case to make it fit the chamber easily and gave the mouth a crimp to help it not catch on the way into the chamber. No issues between shots at all. I’m in central arkansas so it’s cold and humid right now, 4 breaths were plenty.

Thank you everyone for your help! I learned a whole lot about the what and the why we shoot black powder the way we do through the process.

Any idea how often Buffalo Arms restocks their stuff? Wouldn’t mind trying out some of their molds.
—Tom
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Tom, BACO mainly builds their molds to order. Just call them up and they'll cut one for you.

Chris.
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

gunlaker wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:11 pm Tom, BACO mainly builds their molds to order. Just call them up and they'll cut one for you.

Chris.
Thanks I’ll give them a call.
—Tom