grounding the rifle

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: grounding the rifle

Post by gunlaker »

Nossir.

Chris.
Etienne Brule

Post by Etienne Brule »

Hi

Here is the answer from Steve Garbe:
One must go with the NRA rules, but that being said, I don't think Bob's position is in violation of the rule. I'm one of the "high position shooters" given a messed up neck, so I can't say definitively.
I could include your e-mail in the Letter From Readers section and have Bob respond to it...there may be others that are confused as well.
Thanks for the input,
Steve Garbe

Gerald
BFD

Post by BFD »

Etienne Brule wrote:
Is your firing wrist or hand on your mat ?
From memory, I do not think the wrist is an issue for NRA rules. However, what the heck is the wrist operationally? Where does is start and stop?

For my purposes, I wear a wrist watch and nothing forward of the watch band touches.

If I get too low, I find I'm straining to get into the sights. It might not be much, but it's there and my scores will tell me that I was forcing it EVERY TIME! I like to be low, but there definitely is a limit and it is subtle to find, but not subtle on the score sheet.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I get a pounding head ache any more from neck strain when prone shooting. About ready to give the supine positions a go. :lol:
Off hand is the only position that doesn't hurt now days.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Mike,
Having done the "supine" position in handgun silhouette years ago, I suspect
you may have even more problems with your neck. But, maybe not....
Supine, requires your neck to "crane" the opposite way as prone. But maybe a kind of "sideways"
supine may work ok. Good Luck, really.
For me, I may have to do a sitting position as I had a hip replacement last late summer.
May not be able to roll over on that new, but tender hip to do the wiping, reloading,
spotting scope, etc from prone. Will find out soon. The weather here is finally breaking
"almost" as if it is really spring in WI
beltfed/arnie
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, I suspect a lot of us are paying now for our "indestructible" youth. My annual river running, hunting pard says, "Chucks Mike, if I a knowd I was gonna live this long I'd taken better care of myself!" :lol:
We still like the river and to hunt the caribou though. I'm 67 and Chris is 64. :D That guy never buys meat or fish as he gets it all from the land and water.
Ever try smoked Hulligan? They are pretty good out doors but will burn like a candle when thawed out! :lol:
His smoked King and Red Salmon is worth fighting for!