Sizing Brass

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tuscarora

Sizing Brass

Post by Tuscarora » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:14 pm

Sorry to bring up a topic likely covered somewhere in here. I don't seem to be all that bright at using the search function.

Okay, sizing fired brass. Full length, partial, or not at all. I am using GG bullets.

Thanks!

SharpsBig50

Re: Sizing Brass

Post by SharpsBig50 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:53 pm

When I shot GG bullets I did not resize my cases, the bullet I used were simply pressed in the case with my thumb after the powder was compressed.

Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:45 pm

Tuscarora,

You can do it any of three ways.

You don't say what type of rifle you're using, some rifles have more camming ability than others, some none at all. I have never sized my fireformed brass and have always finger seated my grease groove bullets to engrave about .020-.030" when the block is raised on my '74 Sharps rifles and other of similar falling block design. Rollers have no camming and therefore the length has to be such that the block closes freely on the loaded round.

Neck tension works, I just found it easier to control the amount of tension when there wasn't any at all, zero tension is always the same. YMMV
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder

What is life but to be sport for our spotters and laugh at them in our turn?

Each shooter must make their own choice, whether to soar on the winds like shreds of paper or to wallow in grease like a big lump!

mdeland

Post by mdeland » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:30 pm

One of the reasons I have never liked finger seating bullets is the inability to insure uniform overall length , especially with an action that does have substantial camming leverage when the block is closed. It is better in this regard when wiping between shots but I have no faith in it when blow tubing.
A taper crimp that holds the bullet securely in the case has always worked for me to the 600 yards I have competed.
I also have no faith in a few thousands of powder compression to resist bullet seating depth change when loading into a fouled chamber throat.

desert deuce

Post by desert deuce » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:54 pm

All depends on what rifle, cartridge, purpose, location and preference dictate. Loading methods may be modified to accommodate usage.

Yesterday silhouette match in Tucson was 108 F, with 17% humidity, in the shade. One patch of 50/50 Audi Anti-freeze with distilled water worked in 45-70. After 3 sighters and 10 animals the wooden fore end on my rifle was so hot I could not hold on long enough to walk it from the line to my shooting box. (It has been a very long time ago that I saw a blow tube "attempted" to be used in Arizona.)

Had the rifle been in the open sun yesterday the radiant temperature would have been significantly higher and bore pigs would have been a necessity.

Any sane person would have not been out in it.

Essentially, how we load, (say the 45-70), depends entirely upon the intended usage. Loading black powder competition vs black powder hunting with a 45-70 BPCR are two entirely different animals.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!