Sad Day

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

High Desert Hunter

Sad Day

Post by High Desert Hunter »

So as my rifle shooting and reloading is finally getting better, I find out that Old Eynsford is not going to be produced any longer. Another blow to the shooting sports in America. Hopefully someone buys it and reopens.

Dave
Luke

Re: Sad Day

Post by Luke »

Probably can't get insurance for it anymore after the last blow up. That'll be the biggest obstacle to anyone buying it. Never was comfortable with Hodgdon buying it. Maybe they think we'll all switch to Pyrodex? (Blecch!)
Limber Up!
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Hearing about the Goex blowup and now rumors of Old Einsford not being made are very troubling.I shoot Swiss but have shot much Goex in the past. The fewer options we have for shooting powders going forward threaten the longevity of our shooting sport.So what are we gonna do about it? Write letters to the company as well as write letters to our shooting organizations that we belong to. Do not just accept the status quo, complain about it. Try to do something to effect change.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

The inherent dangers of black powder production was realized by Dupont, on the early 19th century, when several workers were killed at their Wilmington Powder Plant, on the Brandywine. Black powder is dangerous, and in today's lawsuit crazy world, one explosion exhausts all profits.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

The inherent dangers of black powder production was realized by Dupont, on the early 19th century, when several workers were killed at their Wilmington Powder Plant, on the Brandywine. Black powder is dangerous, and in today's lawsuit crazy world, one explosion exhausts all profits.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

IIRC, DuPont experienced ~1 explosion per year over much of their history. Making black powder is hazardous business. All it takes is an ignition source, and as one instructor I had one time said, "ignition sources are free".

Clarence
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I'm with Luke on this....I look upon Hodgdon with a wary eye given their penchant for chasing profits and closing down powder lines that don't perform as well (profit-wise) as others...anyone here remember the SR series of powders? I used to love SR-7625 in both shotgun and in light cast bullet 9mm loads. Hodgdon shut it down because it didn't make as much profit as other powders. I got an email from Chris Hodgdon that said so. He said I should try out one of their other powders.... Eventually, I settled on Alliant Unique for both of those chores.

When I saw this post yesterday, it immediately came to mind that it was time to start buying in bulk. The situation may not get better.
High Desert Hunter

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Hopefully we will still be able to get imports in the future. I have enough to get me to the end of the year, but with continued employment being iffy, I will not be buying much if any that I can find, saving for the rainy days. Wish I had a local source for powder.

Dave
bobw

Post by bobw »

JonnyV wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:42 am I'm with Luke on this....I look upon Hodgdon with a wary eye given their penchant for chasing profits and closing down powder lines that don't perform as well (profit-wise) as others...anyone here remember the SR series of powders? I used to love SR-7625 in both shotgun and in light cast bullet 9mm loads. Hodgdon shut it down because it didn't make as much profit as other powders. I got an email from Chris Hodgdon that said so. He said I should try out one of their other powders.... Eventually, I settled on Alliant Unique for both of those chores.

When I saw this post yesterday, it immediately came to mind that it was time to start buying in bulk. The situation may not get better.
Bruce Hodgdon was a shooter first and foremost. It's pretty obvious his sons are bean counters. It 's time to start using more Alliant, Shooters World and Vihtavouri powders. Hodgdon's has crapped on their customers since Bruce left the bldg. Bobw
bobw
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Very very sorry to hear and read of the Goex factory closing. We've not had it available down here for many years but its availability and use ..not to mention the existence of competition for other brands was to be commended. I had the opportunity to purchase and try some O.E. a few years back when Stateside for the Q. Was pretty impressed with its performance against the Swiss I had been using. It appeared to produce virtually identical performance down range with the added bonus of softer fouling. This seems a real set back and even though I cant make use of it down here, I/ we hope, as you do that someone is able to get it up and running. A tall order for sure but one I'd grant the black powder shooters would rally to.
rgds.. Gavin/ J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I hope it wasn't sabotage ! I've been feeling like we may be in for a component drought much more severe then the hick-ups we've experience from covid. I also think it will be short lived !
SharpsBig50

Post by SharpsBig50 »

I’ve only ever used goex because I was afraid that the foreign made BP might dry up some day. I thought By buying goex I was helping to ensure a future supply of BP. Boy was I wrong. I have emailed Hodgdon and voiced my opinion of the closing and told them that I will no longer use the the hodgdon smokeless offerings.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Wondering, is all GOEX discontinued or just OE ?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bobw

Post by bobw »

The whole plant deuce.
bobw