45-70 or 45-90

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

User avatar
Lumpy Grits
Posts: 7546
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:58 pm
Location: Springfield, Missouri-U.S.A. Earth

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by Lumpy Grits » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:09 pm

Don McDowell wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:03 pm
30 inch heavy barrel in 45-90 and never look back
THIS X2 :!:
Look hard at a #1 Shiloh.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"

VectorMan
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:21 pm
Location: NW Missouri

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by VectorMan » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:27 pm

I see your from Missouri Gary, what matches are you attending?

Thx,

KA
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."

mdeland
Posts: 11708
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by mdeland » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:33 pm

Another point is if you ever plan on duplexing or using smokeless loads the 45-70 will be unbeatable. It is by far the most across the board versatile black powder cartridge in existence.
For just plain fun and accurate loads try 11 grains of Unique under just about any good .45 cal bullet.

User avatar
Lumpy Grits
Posts: 7546
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:58 pm
Location: Springfield, Missouri-U.S.A. Earth

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by Lumpy Grits » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:40 pm

VectorMan wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:27 pm
I see your from Missouri Gary, what matches are you attending?

Thx,

KA
Moved here in '19 from California's Mojave Desert in Palmdale.
Other than range practice here, no BPCR.
We do participate in SASS shoots.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"

opencountry
Posts: 3088
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:26 pm
Location: WA State

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by opencountry » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:05 pm

Everyone has their own opinions, and they certainly have the right to that. When I heard the name ‘Shiloh Sharps’ I immediately ordered a 45-70, and found out that it really shot well. The next Shiloh was a 45-110; same experience. Both of these calibers liked what they liked, and it was my desire to ring-out the best in both. I then ordered another Shiloh, a 45-90; Wonderful caliber as the others. I shot the 90 and 110 both in competition around the State. I then just had to buy another 45-110, and I did just that. If I was to choose just one caliber to use in competition it would be the caliber I felt the most confident with at the range(s) I was shooting. BTW, I shoot only pp loads because I like to.
And, I like the like the advantage the larger bullets have over the smaller at extended ranges. If I had to own just one rifle it would definitely be a Sharps.
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.

John Bly
Posts: 1005
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Stephens City, VA

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by John Bly » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:25 pm

Gary does not compete, he is a keyboard expert. Has been for years.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"

opencountry
Posts: 3088
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:26 pm
Location: WA State

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by opencountry » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:45 pm

John Bly wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:25 pm
Gary does not compete, he is a keyboard expert. Has been for years.
Gary’s a great guy, and I’ve learned a lot from him.
R
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.

Michael Johnson

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by Michael Johnson » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:27 pm

Thanks Robert!

User avatar
Don McDowell
Posts: 7220
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:04 pm
Location: Ft. Laramie Wy
Contact:

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by Don McDowell » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:32 pm

Maybe my memory is bad.... but dang I sure seem to remember spotting for Gary and his lovely bride for two days at a match....
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?

Michael Johnson

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by Michael Johnson » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:51 pm

I know for a fact that he has shot the Quigley. Life is too short to waste it putting people down. So easy to do on the internet where people can't shoot or gut you.

ian45662
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by ian45662 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:46 am

I am using 57-85 grains of powder in my 45-70s. You can load them up or load them down. That’s one thing I love about them.

User avatar
Lumpy Grits
Posts: 7546
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:58 pm
Location: Springfield, Missouri-U.S.A. Earth

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by Lumpy Grits » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:19 am

John Bly wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:25 pm
Gary does not compete, he is a keyboard expert. Has been for years.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carry on,
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"

SSShooter
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:06 am
Location: Jersey Shore

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by SSShooter » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:25 am

Lumpy Grits wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:40 pm
VectorMan wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:27 pm
I see your from Missouri Gary, what matches are you attending?
Thx,
KA
Moved here in '19 from California's Mojave Desert in Palmdale.
Other than range practice here, no BPCR.
We do participate in SASS shoots.
Gary
Need to "look around" a bit more. There are BPCR matches all around you. Wright City, MO, Effingham, IL, Harlan Gover's matches in AR, Tappan Hill in KS. If you want to shoot there are several venues not far from you.

As for 45-70 vs 45-90, get a 40-65. It will do the same thing the blunderbus 45's will do and is much more comfortable to shoot. Or even a 38-50. Why beat yourself?
Glenn

gunlaker
Posts: 2491
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:16 pm

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by gunlaker » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:55 am

Kurt wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:20 am
Chris,

The top reamer was made by PT&G
And the bottom is a reamer made by Dave Manson Precision Reamers.
The bushings I made.
Ah, thanks very much.

Chris.

User avatar
Lumpy Grits
Posts: 7546
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:58 pm
Location: Springfield, Missouri-U.S.A. Earth

Re: 45-70 or 45-90

Post by Lumpy Grits » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:32 am

SSShooter wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:25 am
Lumpy Grits wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:40 pm
VectorMan wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:27 pm
I see your from Missouri Gary, what matches are you attending?
Thx,
KA
Moved here in '19 from California's Mojave Desert in Palmdale.
Other than range practice here, no BPCR.
We do participate in SASS shoots.
Gary
Need to "look around" a bit more. There are BPCR matches all around you. Wright City, MO, Effingham, IL, Harlan Gover's matches in AR, Tappan Hill in KS. If you want to shoot there are several venues not far from you.

As for 45-70 vs 45-90, get a 40-65. It will do the same thing the blunderbus 45's will do and is much more comfortable to shoot. Or even a 38-50. Why beat yourself?
TNX, the club I belong to has some informal single shot rifle matches.
Because of Arthritis in my shoulders, my off-hand shooting days are over.
These days, I just enjoy any range time I can get. Do try to shoot at least once a week if weather allows.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"

Post Reply