MVA "A" scope for a Shilo 1874

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

OldVarkWSO

Re: MVA "A" scope for a Shilo 1874

Post by OldVarkWSO »

Well - the OP hasn’t been back and the thread took a little drift. All good reading though.

Tader - I am barely an advanced novice compared to some who shared their thoughts here. Like others, I have both an MVA Series 3000 (28”) scope and an “A” scope in 10x. I have multiple rifles with three mounting blocks and can use both scopes on them as I wish. I like both scopes.

My thought is you need to peruse the MVA website some more to understand the differences in the scopes and mounts. Some here like the Malcom mounts (as I do) or the No. 2 mount. Your comment about how long a scope to get and should it stay behind the muzzle tells me you just haven’t absorbed all the info on MVA’s website yet. No problem - sounds like you have time if you only recently ordered your rifle.

The MVA scope that goes to the muzzle for a 34” barrel is the Series 9000. It requires mounting into the dovetails for the front sight and rear barrel sight (buckhorn). You said your rifle will be a Long Range Express - it does not come with a rear dovetail unless you order it - so that probably isn’t an option. I’ve never seen a dovetail mounted long scope at a match.

When I ordered my Series 3000 scope (28”) - a gentleman at MVA told me they sell more of those than all the other scopes combined. That should tell you something. At 6x - it seems brighter than my 10x and the field of view is wider - better for offhand (chickens). I bought the Creedmoor Malcolm mounts (taller) and have not regretted it. I have a Sporter #1 in .45-90 with a 34” barrel - no problem sighting in on 1000 yard targets with either of my scopes.

The “A” scope is available in 8x and 10x and is 23”. Also, the Series 2000 scope is 23” and 6x. The Silhouette mounts (shorter) are suggested (required?) if you want the Malcolm mounts. One can also use the No. 2 mount and regular front mount with the “A” scope - I have no experience with this other than seeing guys dial in their sight adjustments backwards because they were used to the Malcom mounts and then switched to the No. 2 mount.

There is also the adjustable front mount for the “A” scope - it looks fairly tall and I’ve only ever seen one.

For the different mounting block spacing options on the shorter scope, I’m surprised no one mentioned the octagon adjustment knobs that MVA offers. With the 10.34” spacing on the blocks, moving the octagon knob one flat is one MOA. With the 7.2” block spacing, one flat is 1.5 MOA. For the longer MVA scopes, the knobs are pentagon and one flat is one MOA. I use these knobs - much easier than trying to read the index marks on the mounts. And yes, with possible backlash (?), to move one MOA, I turn the knob two flats forward, and one back.

Tader - for what you want to do with your rifle - I believe you would do well with a Series 3000 scope. You can always (funds permitting) get an “A” scope later and add another mounting block to your barrel.

My $.02 - am sure others will chime in here with their thoughts. Don’t be hesitant to ask more questions and let us know what you decide.

Cheers,

OVW
Rockridge

Post by Rockridge »

Rockridge wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:16 pm A picture is worth a thousand words....
This is a Shiloh #2 Creedmoor 1874 in 45-2.1 w/ 30" round barrel with an MVA 28" 6x Scope mounted on 17" centers and Creedmoor Mounts Elevated for 1,000 yards.

Ed
Rockridge
Corrected Scope Length as apparently I am unable to read a tape measure!

Ed
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Fret not Rockridge, you are in good company.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Good Man Ed, of course I've never made a mistake. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

DeadEye wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:25 pm Enjoy Chris, here's hoping someday we get to shoot together. Stay well.

Paul
I'm sure we will! It was nice to get to the range after being away for a while. The air was so still that I ended up fogging out the entire range for about a minute or two after each shot. At least it was above freezing which is pretty nice!

Chris.