Mpro 7 Cleaner question

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kwilliams

Mpro 7 Cleaner question

Post by kwilliams »

USPS brought my very first jug of it yesterday, so immediately went out to shoot my .45-90 GG/Swiss load with bore pigs soaked in it. All went well, no lead specs on final cleaning patches, finished up with nice white clean looking patches. Cleaned bore well after shooting as usual and oiled the bore with WD-40. This morning was mild for Montana so decided to shoot again, went to wipe out the oil this afternoon and the patches came out jet black, 3-4 patches still showed black.
So please tell me what is going on with this cleaner, does it oxidize overnight, something chemical is going on here? Been using Napa oil and water previously with no issues.
KW
charlie young

Re: Mpro 7 Cleaner question

Post by charlie young »

I'm more curious as to what will be said about using WD-40.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

It could be a reaction to the oil in the WD40. If I clean a bore using MRO7 and then push a patch with Montana Extreme accuracy oil thru the oil patch comes out with lots of black on it. Don't have that using other bore cleaners.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

kwilliams wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:45 pm USPS brought my very first jug of it yesterday, so immediately went out to shoot my .45-90 GG/Swiss load with bore pigs soaked in it. All went well, no lead specs on final cleaning patches, finished up with nice white clean looking patches. Cleaned bore well after shooting as usual and oiled the bore with WD-40. This morning was mild for Montana so decided to shoot again, went to wipe out the oil this afternoon and the patches came out jet black, 3-4 patches still showed black.
So please tell me what is going on with this cleaner, does it oxidize overnight, something chemical is going on here? Been using Napa oil and water previously with no issues.
KW
WD-40 is a penetrant not a lubricant. It will evaporate and leave no protection. Use a good gun oil to coat the bore for protection. The black color may be the bluing being removed on the inside of the bore. I've had no issues using Mpro-7. Let us know what you find out.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

As a factory representative for the largest clock company in the world for 20 years, I can say that if you want to completely stop a clock movement.
Grandfather clock for example, spray it with WD 40 and when it dries, you will have a $300 bill from a clock repair person to get it clean again.
I have WD 40 like all of us, and use it for it's purpose, but it is NOT a gun oil.
just me...Ken
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

WD-40 does not live at my house to many superior cleaners/ lubricants to choose from, WD-40 isn’t one of them for guns.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Been building guns for 55 yrs....and I mean building, not assembling a parts kit. WD40 is always on the bench along with some other choices, not once in all those years have I had black "stuff" show up after a cleaning. So MY original question has not been answered, and there is no blueing left in bore to blame. Think I read Mpro was developed for the military? Many of their bores are chrome lined so wondering if cm 4150 reacts to the cleaner.
kw
Woody

Post by Woody »

kw,

I'm not sold on the MPro7, but did give it a workout last year. Wiping with pigs all season through Two Shilohs, two Badger barreled High Walls and Gain Twist Rifle Co barrel. Approximately 2000 plus rounds sent downrange under match conditions. The bores were sent to storage with Rem Oil. I never experienced what you have described. The difference, as I see it, is the WD-40. It has no place in my shooting box. I do plan on wiping with the MPro7 this weekend at Friendship. It might be prudent to contact the maker to discuss rather than this forum of armchair quarterbacks.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

This might help answer your question http://pantheonchemical.com/wp-content/ ... _11_13.pdf
It looks like my hunch from using it was right, the stuff doesn't react well with any petroleum based oil, and that's why they recommend using their gun oil which is a synthetic.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Good info Don. This morning I polished up a piece of Chrome moly 4150, put some Mpro on one spot...no discoloration, so then added a dab of wd40 to it, no discoloration yet. Will let it set for a day and see what happens. Have many blackpowder rifles that have never seen anything but WD40 and the old Vietnam era LSA and they where built from 1969 to now. So this "black crud" is a new occurrence for me.
kw
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Let me see, a carbon remover, 1st use. Metal is porous. WD40 is a penetrating oil. Might that just be the carbon residue flushed out of the pores by the oil? 🤔
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

martinibelgian wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:33 am Let me see, a carbon remover, 1st use. Metal is porous. WD40 is a penetrating oil. Might that just be the carbon residue flushed out of the pores by the oil? 🤔
Yes, a carbon remover....a good thing, guess we are going to find out just how "porous" a Grn. Mountain barrel is, but it seems to continue to work over night after the patches come out white?
kw
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

It does take time to penetrate the pores of steel, after all, they are microscopic. Which is why we clean our rifles twice - once after shooting, and the day after, and you will get dirty patches the 2nd time, even if it appeared to be clean after the 1st cleaning. My guess is that after next cleaning /shooting, it will be much less.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

kenny sd wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:16 am As a factory representative for the largest clock company in the world for 20 years, I can say that if you want to completely stop a clock movement.
Grandfather clock for example, spray it with WD 40 and when it dries, you will have a $300 bill from a clock repair person to get it clean again.
I have WD 40 like all of us, and use it for it's purpose, but it is NOT a gun oil.
just me...Ken
I agree with Ken. WD40 should never be used as a lubricant. I have disassembled and cleaned a couple hundred Browning & Winchester BPCRs to date including a couple of Browning BPCRs that were "lubed" for several years with WD40. There was a hard layer like shellac coating everything which required acetone & some scrubbing to remove. Once dried it leaves a residue that will eventually gum up the works.

My favorite lubricant is Remington Rem Oil. When the carrier dries a very slick lubricating & protecting film remains that will not build up. For complicated receivers like the Browning's that can be a problem to disassemble the best procedure is to spray all the action parts with firearm or brake cleaner until it runs out clear. Let it dry than spray everything with Rem oil, letting it run out and dry prior to standing the rifle up in your safe. Once dried it should not migrate to and darken the stock.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

All of my guns are doused frequently in WD-40 and have been since Dad brought the first of it home from Vietnam in the early 70's. We have never seen any of the stuff you guys talk about. No shellacking, no removing the blueing, no rust, no nothing. We are in a low humidity environment, so no doubt there may be better products on the market now for you guys in damp areas, but WD-40 works just fine for us. I do use Lucas gun oil (the blue stuff) to lubricate the moving parts. To each their own.
Cody