Powder coating

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

sccadu

Re: Powder coating

Post by sccadu »

Thanks for the input, There is a place for traditionalism, in this case it probably valid. I'd never heard of it and it seems interesting. I don't think it's appropriate on a practical level here. I asked, and got an answer so all good. Sometimes " the way it's always been done" ignores advancement in materials. If we stuck to all convention we'd be facing a cotton cord ignitor shortage for our smooth bore blunderbuss. A local gun shop owner called my 6.5 Creedmore cartridges " one of those DESIGNER cartridges" and he'd stick with his ' 0ught 6. Which in '06 Was a designer cartridge. LOL. To each his own, but I am very grateful for all the help I get from all of you. I reload all that I shoot except rimfire, but the 45/90 BPC is a long and steep learning curve, and I can't see the easy part yet.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

You wrote: "but the 45/90 BPC is a long and steep learning curve"

Actually, if you could clear your mind and focus on the instruction you could become proficient loading and shooting the 45-90 in a relatively short time. (A few hours)

The long learning curve is making your own bullets. Which is not difficult, just time consuming. Pretty much putting instruction into action.

The loading part is easy, the shooting is where the problems begin to surface. Some pick it up easily, some don't.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

desert deuce wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:19 pm You wrote: "but the 45/90 BPC is a long and steep learning curve"

Actually, if you could clear your mind and focus on the instruction you could become proficient loading and shooting the 45-90 in a relatively short time. (A few hours)

The long learning curve is making your own bullets. Which is not difficult, just time consuming. Pretty much putting instruction into action.

The loading part is easy, the shooting is where the problems begin to surface. Some pick it up easily, some don't.
You said it about as well as it could be said. The funny part is it took me a couple of years of shooting these things before I sort of reset and took the easy path on loading these things. It was only very shortly after that when I started really working on the shooting part of the equation, which is the only tricky part.

Chris.