PP Question

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

opencountry

Re: PP Question

Post by opencountry »

Thoughts on the bore being too dry for 'consistent' accuracy - pp vs. gg bullet accuracy...

Because I'm using a 1/10 ratio of Napa cutting oil, and H20 to clean the bore between shots, I feel that there just may be a little (trace?) of the cutting oil left in the bore after each bore-wiping procedure. Thoughts on this...?

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

opencountry wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:05 pmI've purchased cotton flannel material at the fabric store to experiment with, but I've found the 'sheen' on their cotton flannel material just doesn't do the job as well as Pro-Shot's patches.
Robert
Have you tried washing the cotton flannel material before using as patches? Most material (and new clothes) have something called 'sizing' on them to make the material easier to handle prior to sale. It is generally water soluble and will come off in the first wash, which may solve that problem for using as patches.

Am also using a 10/1 ratio of water soluble cutting oil & water as my wiping mix. Have for years and have never had a leading problem with greasers. About to find out with PP.
Glenn
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Yes, SSShooter, I've tried this to some extent. Yet, with each bolt of cotton material I've found varying differences in thicknesses of material. I guess I need to experiment a little more until I find a bolt that is Pro-Shots equal. Btw, I made a mistake in my previous post - I'm now using Pro-Shot's 3" patch with the black 3/8" Delrin rod, not 2 1/4" patch. I used the 2 1/4" Pro-Shot patch shooting greasers using the old white synthetic rod. Sorry for the confusion.

Robert
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

made my own bore pigs from nylon brushes. 2 felts up front and one in the back with a .500 dia neoprene washer, plastic nut to hold it all together.

Even with 108.5gr in my 45-100 amd Aug heat I havent had a failure yet. just switched the 40-82, to 3 felts and it performed perfectly. I just push it thru with a 2in cotton patch nice and slow. There will be quite a few of us using them this weekend at Lodi. I will report back with any failures...

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

opencountry wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:19 pm Thoughts on the bore being too dry for 'consistent' accuracy - pp vs. gg bullet accuracy...

Because I'm using a 1/10 ratio of Napa cutting oil, and H20 to clean the bore between shots, I feel that there just may be a little (trace?) of the cutting oil left in the bore after each bore-wiping procedure. Thoughts on this...?

Robert
the cutting oil is there to prevent "flash rust" when your barrel gets REALLY hot. Ive had mine so hot you hear the water sizzle as I pushed the bore pig down. Your patch should be removing 99% of anything, and should come out a bit damp, with very little black (if you have a rubber washer) If its black add a felt or get them more wet. Mine are left soaking in a MTM cartridge box whilst I shoot.

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Thanks Matt,
I’ve shot competition in the past, and really enjoyed it! My cleaning ritual between shots consists of two damp patches, followed by one dry, then mop the chamber dry. My two damp patches leave the bore clean; don’t need a third. 100+ degrees here this time of year - very dry heat. Barrel does get HOT!
Thnx again,
Robert
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Just shot a 60-shot mid-range match with the BACo 380gr DEPP bullet. At 200yd & 300yd the load was 68gr of 2F Swiss in R-P cases and at 600yd it was 70gr in WW cases (which provides about the same amount of compression). For wiping I used BACo bore pigs wetted with 10-1 water & water soluble cutting oil (moose-milk). I did not run a dry patch after the bore-pig, though I did use a bore-mop in the chamber (this rifle stretches the case with a wet chamber). The winning score was a 543-16X and mine was not that far behind at 533-9X and not that much different from my previous GG scores (other than a poor 92-2X at 200yd on my first relay - a 98-6x on relay-2).

My thoughts are that running a dry patch is not necessary after the BACo bore-pig. If I had thought to do so I would have shot the 1st 10-shot string at each distance without a dry patch and the 2nd 10-shot string using a dry patch. Next time (if I remember).
Glenn