Saeco Top Punches????

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ken Hartlein

Saeco Top Punches????

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I'm going to order a Saeco tomorrow, and I am needing some help with the top punches. I am shooting a lyman 420 grain 457193 and a lyman 535 grain 457132. Do any of you know with experience what saeco top punch I need to get for these??? Thanks.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Hi Ken,
I do not know for certain if the lyman top punch will fit the Saeco lubrisizer, but I am fairly sure they will. the lyman top punch is 636-771 for the 457193 and 218-830 for the 457132 bullet. hope this helps
trigger dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Also, if you have a top punch that is close, the following works quite well.

Degrease the top punch, put it in the lubrisizer. Put a bullet on the sizing die. Put a generous drop of HOT GLUE in the top punch and lower the ram until it firmly contacts the bullet. Be careful to not use too much presure that could cause the bullet to slip or deform in the top punch. Let it set a few minutes until the glue is hard. lift the ram ( if the bullet sticks to the glue, start over and put a thin film of lube on the bullet) remove the top punch trim off the excess glue with a razor knife and re install the top punch and you are ready to go.

The glue can easily be removed with the point of arazor knife if you desire.
Trigger dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Ken,

Ask one of the fellas at Buffalo Arms. Dollars to donuts they can tell you which top punches you'll need. And they will probably have them.
Lee Stone
RANGER RICK

Post by RANGER RICK »

Hey Ken

The top punch for that 457132 535 will be 45702 , for the 457193 it will be 45015 or the 45525 both will work . Lyman top punches will not fit . All of saeco's top punches screw in . Have fun with the sizer.

RR
Practice does not make perfect !! Perfect practice makes perfect !!!!!!
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Lyman top punches don't fit the Saeco sizer. However, I've been using the punch designed for the Saeco 745 mould for everything from the Postell to the Gunn modified to the Creedmore. Unless you are really sizing the bullet a lot of using alloy much softer than 1/20, there's no deformation.

Clarence
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Thanks Ranger Rick, that is the info I was looking for. To the rest of you, thanks but I already knew that lyman top punches wouldn't fit the Saeco, that's not what I asked. I asked what Saeco top punches work well for the lyman bullets 457132 and 457193. Thanks again Ranger Rick, I appreciate it.
Shiloh Rules!!
Buckskinner

Top punches

Post by Buckskinner »

Ken
My old Instructor used to say "Read all the writin!"
Have a good day guys. :lol:

Buckskinner
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Good advice Buckskinner!! I ordered the Saeco lubri-sizer and top punch and sizer die and a lyman taper crimp die from GAR reloading, saved enough to pay the shipping and some left over. GAR folks are really into reloading and knew just what I wanted and their prices are great, they have 10% off all Saeco and lyman stuff, plus it's cheaper to start with than BA.
Shiloh Rules!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Ken,

Does GAR have a web site?
Lee Stone
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

SAECO top punches work in Lyman lube sizers, I don't know why the reverse would not be true also, Omaha.
Randy Ruwe
RANGER RICK

Post by RANGER RICK »

Omaha poke

If I am correct , lyman top punches are held in with a set screw ( I do not have a lyman ) you are correct , you could use a saeco top punch at the risk of ruining the threads :cry: . All saeco top punches have threads . :shock:

[size=18][b]RR[/b][/size]
Practice does not make perfect !! Perfect practice makes perfect !!!!!!
Buckskinner

Top punches

Post by Buckskinner »

Ken

Ranger Rick is correct about Lyman top Punches, they are held in with a set screw.

Buckskinner
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
Ron B

Top Punch

Post by Ron B »

Here is a little trick that you might find really handy on this top punch thing.
There is times when i borrowed a different mold to cast a particular bullet and didnt have a top punch that worked, so what i have done is to take a punch and put some acraglass in side it ,then put it in the sizer then coat a bullet with PAM, a cooking oil. Push a bullet down in the sizer then let it harden up . This will make a perfect form of the nose of the slug.
You can also put in some powdered metal in the acraglass and it will make a stronger form. :D
Born a hundred and 10 years too late !
FJK

Post by FJK »