Spotting scope for shooting some silhouette

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bo Alley

Spotting scope for shooting some silhouette

Post by Bo Alley »

Ive read what the owner of BA says about having a really good spotting scope for competition but just don't have that kind of $$ at this time.

Any sugestions for a beginner would really be appreciated. Im looking for something that will help improve my current skill level which is definitely nothing to bragg about. Thanks guys.

Bo
A craftsman makes his own schedule!
arnie

Post by arnie »

Burris makes a pretty nice 20to 60 by 80 mm for few hundred dollars and it comes in a hard case.Arnie
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I can't afford the Kowa?? either. I have a Burris and it works just fine for me.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Cabelas is selling the Burris 20 to 60 by 80mm for about $260.00, including the hard case and a small table top tripod. I used to have one and it does a pretty good job.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

But I do have to admit that I like my Kowa better. :wink:
Lee Stone
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

I ordered one of those Burris Landmark scopes and was very disappointed. I sent it back and broke the piggy bank for a 60mm Kowa. If you don't want to spend that much, I think the Leupold Wind River is sharper than the Landmark, but a Bushnell Spacemaster is better yet, in that price range.
Josh A.

Spotting scope

Post by Josh A. »

My opinion is that you are not going to be particularly competitive with cheaper glass. Rarely do you see a match winner or top master or AAA shooters with something inferior. If you intend to shoot silhouettes for fun and are not going to try to shoot your way into master, something inexpensive would be OK. On the other hand, if you do intend to be competitive you are going to buy a cheap one and then a Kowa or Leica.

Find you a shooting partner with good glass and team up with him until you can afford what you really need.

Just my thoughts,

Josh
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Bo, take it from me, buy a Kowa and be done with it. Life time scope.
www.jarhead.com Jim Owens will shoot you the best deal around, and he even has used ones at times, guys that upgraded to the 80mm. Thanks Kirk
RANGER RICK

Post by RANGER RICK »

Yep thats who I went through for my Kowa scope . I traded in my 77mm model for the new 821m model . He is very fast on shipping and a friendly guy to talk with. :lol:

RR
Practice does not make perfect !! Perfect practice makes perfect !!!!!!
Bo Alley

Scope

Post by Bo Alley »

Thank guys,
Sorta figured this would go full circle but now have a better idea of where to jump in...

Bo
A craftsman makes his own schedule!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Here is Jim Owens' web site. I got the Kowa TSN-821-M from him. He has pretty much the best prices. Also, after you click on the KOWA Scopes button on his home page and look at the Kowa scopes, go back to the home page and click on PRODUCTS. There under the heading Scope Stand is the description and a picture off to the right of the best scope stand I have encountered. It has an iron weight at the base between the tripod legs and is the most stable stand I have personally seen. And the price is very reasonable I think. Using that stand I am not afraid I am going to get clumsy and knock over my Kowa.

http://www.jarheadtop.com/
Lee Stone
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Don't forget to purchase a substantail carrying case for transporting your scope to & from the range. The soft case that was included w/ my older KOWA is just about useless for afforing it any protection.
dozer

Post by dozer »

Another good alternative is the new Nikon, 20-60X80 angled eye piece. I bought one early last spring and have used it and tested it side by side with the Kowa. Everyone that used it said optics were as good as the Kowa, and a lot of people looked at it.

Good points:
1 Costs half of what a Kowa does. Paid $430.00 with case and eye piece.
2 Every bit as clear and a little brighter image.

??? points (depends on your use)
1 "Water resistant" not water proof, it has the same "O" ring seal a Kowa does on the eye piece.
2 The eye piece I have is not as good for eye glass users. I don't know if a long relief is available, haven't needed one or looked for one.
3 Just slighly larger than a Kowa but not more than an inch or so.
4 The case is not as handy but still OK.
YMMV
Doz
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: Bo Alley, A good spotting scope is a must especially at ranges over 300m. Clarity and field of view are important. My vision needs more help as I've gotten older and I'm now using astronomical binoculars to spot with. I bought a pair from Sportsmansguide.com for less than $150.00 that have 70mm objectives and 15x>45x power. Using binoculars allows for better depth perception when looking for impacts, at wind flags and mirage, and does away with squinting as both eyes are used. They are just more comfortable for me to use when spotting. I have a Kowa TSN-1 with the angled eye piece and this is a good combination when you are prone and can lean over to look down range. Regardless of what you choose for optics by a stable (read expensive) tri-pod. Look at the astronomy sites for some excellant prices on tri-pods and scopes/binoculars. Rbump
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Dozer,
I will toss in my nickels worth on the subject. My Long Range shooting pard Jimbo Terry has the very scope you mention. I attempted to use Jimbo's scope for spotting as He had while spotting for my on the first relay at Raton's Creedmoor match this year. Jimbo had mentioned several times the lack of Mirage while I was shooting. I was using my old TSN-1 the 45 deg angled eyepeice scope as a laydown scope. I told him several times that sure was mirage and even told him where and how much. When I got up and looked down his scope I too could not see the mirage with near the ability of the old Kowia.

The Nikon is clear and a tad brighter, however this game is not counting points on a royal elk or making sure its a better then 3/4 curl Ram or Stone sheep. Its about reading conditions, and the Kiowa's win HANDS Down. They are the best scope for reading conditions, and every national and most world champions are using them.

After the first Day I took my Kiowa off the ground when I was done shooting and used it to spot for my pard Jimbo as I could not do Jim the service I am capable of doing with the Nikon as his spotter.

Thats my take on it. So for the fella looking for a scope save your hard earned money and buy a Kiowa, You will never regret it.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
sharps5090

Post by sharps5090 »

Kenny,
I'm taking your advice and saving to buy a Kiowa.
What eyepiece would you recommend?
Thanks
Chris