Spotting scope for shooting some silhouette

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Bo Alley,
Go with the 25X eye piece. All you need to see hits or to read mirage. Or to spot shots even at 1000 yards. I took this advice all most 16 years ago and never regreted it.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

[b]Bo-Alley

Go to Jim Owen's site http://www.jarheadtop.com/kowa.html he sometimes has use kowa scopes in stock, but if you are going with a new one get the KOWA TSN-821-M, with 27 Power Long Eye Relief. Glenn
:D
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

Bo Alley ! If you are just going to shoot at a target that falls over you won't need a high priced spotting scope right now ! But if you are going to be shooting for groups you will need the best that you can afford ! What ever way you go i would get a scope that has or starts at 15x to what ever x you want from there ! As 15x will help with Mirage ! JAGG
JAGG
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

I am afraid that some of the advice you are getting here is not very good. While most of the folks that have responded with good advice, the comment above about " Just shooting at targets that fall over" is I'm afraid from someone that does not shoot silhouette. No flames are intended here and I hope that none are taken. Spotting in a silhouette match can be the most difficult spotting there is. Hopefully the target is not standing there for very long after you break the shot, sometimes they go down so fast and in such a manner, that it is almost impossible to see the hit even with the best equipment. At these times inferior equipment will be just as bad as if you had no scope at all. Spotting in a silhouette match means that you are a member of a two man team, you OWE your shooter the best, to do that you need good equipment. A Kowa or any really good spotting scope is a financial hit there is no doubt about it. But save the money and get a really good scope. I severeal not very good scopes, I spent damn good money for them and they are not good at all for silhouette spotting. I whish I had saved in the first place and not bought these. The Kowa 821n that I have now is a joy to use, and I no longer question those risky calls. You will also have to purchase a REALLY good tripod, once again learn from my mistake here. Save up and get a really good tripod. Even the best Kowa won't do the job if it is swaying in that wind you are trying to read. I purchased a Bogen tripod it was not cheap and then I had to buy a head for the critter again not cheap. This is an exspensive sport, but wait and spend your money on the good stuff, that way you only have to buy once. In the long run it is much cheaper.

After having said all of the above, if you are without any type of scope, and are contemplating the purchase of a cheaper scope like the Burris or some such. Post here or get in contact with me. I have a Burris that was the first scope I purchased it would be my pleasure to send it to you to use until you save enough money to buy a good scope. The will be a condition with this free scope. When you have purchased a good scope and no longer have a need for this Burris, you will have to send it on to the next shooter that is in the same fix that you are in. Look forward to hearing from you.

Gunny
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Bo Alley:

If you decide to take Gunny up on his offer let me know and I'll pick it up from him when I see him in Bishop in a couple of weeks and deliver it to you in Phoenix, when I shoot the Arizona State B.P. Championships the 14th., 15th.,and 15th. of Nov..

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Buckskinner

Bogen tripod

Post by Buckskinner »

Gunny's Post

For those interested in the Bogen tripod that Gunny is talking about, they are usually available at your better Photo. Stores and can be found in Photo Mag. ads also.

I bought the model that is refered to as "fluid head". Movement on the Horiz. and vert. axes is extremely smooth. When you lock it up there is no drift, even in a pretty stiff wind.

Buckskinner
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
Omak Cowboy

my 2 cents or a buck three - fifty

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Please allow me to add to what Gunny has said.
I bought a Kowa some years back and can confirm all that Gunny says. I can also confirm what Gunny says about a good tripod. It's a pretty sad event to see a high quality scope crash in the dirt because of a poor tripod....that and leaving it alone for some dolt to trip over!

Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Bo Alley

Post by Bo Alley »

Thanks again for everyones contributions,
Gunny, also appreciate your advise, and especially YOUR OFFER! Think my mind is made up and will save for the Kowa TSN 821. In the mean time have something to practice with here in town. Looking forward to watching the shoot next month at Ben Avery....

Bo
A craftsman makes his own schedule!
RCE1

I have a Kowa 821, which is great but....

Post by RCE1 »

I have been playing around with some huge binoculars I read about on the web. They are 25x100 and are a tripod-only proposition, but I can see better with them than with the spotting scope. I found them at Burgess Optical, but several companies have been importing them lately. Doing a Google search on "giant binoculars" will get you pointed the right direction.

Here is a link: [url]http://www.burgessoptical.com/[/url].

I was pretty blown away by how much better I can see with both eyes open. I have heard it said that bincular viewing increases visual accuity by as much as 40%. These binoculars perform somewhat similarly to the twin spotting scope rigs you see at the bigger matches for a fraction of the price. The manufacturer claims that they are waterproof, although I haven't had to put them to the test yet.

My shooting partner doesn't particularly like them, but I find I can pick out details (like small caliber hits on shot-up targets at long ranges) more easily. They are terriffic for all kinds of terrestrial observation and many buy them for astronomical use. I think the Chinese probably used them the keeping an eye on the border or perhaps in naval applications. Incredible buy for $300. Just a thought.

Rick Eskite