books on the 19th century

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Omak Cowboy

books on the 19th century

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Only tangentially related to shooting but directly related to the way of life of those who had an original 1784 Sharps, I write for thoughts on books depicting the life and times of those who lived in the era.

I've just finished Gary Paulsen's marvelous five part "TUCKET" series depicting the fictitious life of one Francis Tucket 1847 - 1849 who on his way west in wagon train is captured by Pawnee, rescued a number of times by the one armed Mr. Grimes and learns to become a man on his journey to Oregon to find his parents.

This is a children's book but so wonderfuly written an adult will have a very difficult time putting it down.

So now after reading it and re reading it to my son I'm looking for other quality books depicting the real live of those who came west.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
carl thomas zmuda

LIFE IN THE SADDLE by Frank Collinson

Post by carl thomas zmuda »

Pick up a copy of Life in the Saddle by Frank Collinson. It is a good story about buffalo hunting and life in Texas in the 1870's.

Carl
carl thomas zmuda

THE BUFFALO HARVEST by Frank Mayer and Charles B. Roth

Post by carl thomas zmuda »

Another good read off of the internet, The Buffalo Harvest by Frank Mayer and Charles B. Roth is found at: http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/resourc ... uffalo.htm

Carl
Scarlet Knight

Post by Scarlet Knight »

For a first-hand account of life in the mid- to late-1800's, have a look at Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Little House" books.
If all gun owners voted like gun owners, we wouldn't have to worry about keeping our guns.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I have heard some good reviews of "Freund & Bro. Pioneer Gunmakers To The West", available right here from Shiloh in the Miscellaneous section of the Shiloh Store. I need to order it.
Lee Stone