Petroleum Products and Black Powder

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

deerhuntsheatmeup

Kenny

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Kenny,

Good for you staying put! Loyalty is hard to find in the workplace these days!

Best, Barvid
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
dmarable

Post by dmarable »

Hydrogen sulfide gas in low concentrations smells like rotten eggs. In higher concentrations it is termed an "immediate danger to life and health" or (IDLH) and it has no odor. This is due to it completely and immediately numbing your olfactory nerve system. If you can smell it, it is dangerous and may kill you in the long haul, but a very few breaths of concentrations above 600 ppm will send you to Heaven in a hurry, and you will not smell it.

Don
dmarable

Post by dmarable »

As I write this, I am supervising the drilling of a deep well in the Texas Panhandle. Last week we differentially stuck our bottom hole assembly (BHA) in the hole. One is differentially stuck when a low pressure formation (in our case a fractured zone) pulls the drill pipe against the borehole. In brief, this low pressure formation "sucked" the drill pipe against the borehole wall.

The chosen solution was to inject nitrogen down the drill pipe and evacuate much of the drilling mud from the borehole. Nitrogen expands at a ratio of approximately 690 to one. We injected the nitrogen and as it expanded it forced mud from the borehole. We took the mud through our gas buster system and evacuated the nitrogen out of our flow line. It went through our choke system and out of our flow stack that extends 55 feet into the air. At one time we had had 1710 psi on the wellbore, and the wellbore was many thousand feet deep and a minimum of 12 1/4-inches in diameter. The sand in our drilling mud cut out the choke body and we had the same situation that Kenny brought up earlier.

No problem, we shut it down and replaced the choke and continued on with our project. The pipe came free because we removed most of our mud column and replaced it with nitrogen. Prior to nitrogen our hydrostatic pressure was 5,382 psi, and after nitrogen our hydrostatic pressure was 2,290 psi. That amount of reduction in hydrostatic pressure allowed us to jar the stuck BHA free.

Our final solution was to run more pounds of shredded cotton seed hulls and cedar fiber to seal of the fractures that "sucked." So far it is working, and we are about 3,000 feet deeper. And yes, I will be here Christmas.
ole pizen slinger

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Mike,
H2S (hydrogen sulfide) is more toxic than HCN (hydrogen cyanide).
OPS
Barry C Jolly

"I envy no man that knows more than myself and pity them that know less:" Sir T. Brown

"Everyone must sacrifice at the altar of stupidity from time to time" A. Einstein
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

And I thought EOD work was dangerous! Makes my glass work seem like child's play by comparison. :D MD
Yellowhouse

Re: Petroleum Products and Black Powder

Post by Yellowhouse »

I think it stems from the experiences of muzzleloaders and for consecutive shots where no wiping is involved they arent very compatible or at all.
Sam
SchuetzenDave

Re: Petroleum Products and Black Powder

Post by SchuetzenDave »