Black Powder Duplex Loads

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BUFFALO JIM

Black Powder Duplex Loads

Post by BUFFALO JIM »

Has anyone tryed to load 2f GOEX over 3f. I have a few cans of 3f and am looking at using it up. I shoot a 45-90(45 2-4/10) and using straight 3f fouls my rifle more so than the 2f. before I load any rounds I would like to here from a few of you that has had some experience in this area.

Thanks for your help
Jim
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Bufflao Jim,

I did it some time back perhaps for the same reasons you did. I saw nothing remarkable happen. Just recently, I tried some 4f under the 2f and had a real good day at the range. I'll have to repeat that several times to come to any conclusions.

TL
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

BUFFALO JIM,
Try using the finer powder on top of the load, instead of next to the primer. This worked well in a 40-65 I used to shoot. Should work in a similar fashion in a 45 caliber.
Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
P.S. the SD's were better with the finer powder on top.
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Mike T

You piqued my interest in the 40-65 load. Could you be more specific, how much powder and what improvement in sd's? I'm having a real difficult time getting single digits in my Shiloh 40-65 using a Brooks 420 grainer.

TL
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Timberlake,
I was shooting my Browning BPCR 40-65 [now a 40-82] with Elephant powder and wanted to crack 1200 fps, so I duplexed FFFg GOEX with the Elephant. The load was 40% Elephant + 60% FFFgGoex. With the FFFg next to the primer, the SD was a few points higher than when the slow powder was next to the primer. I never did much development with this combination because the Cartridge grade GOEX was much better than duplexing. I used up the Elephant powder fire forming cases for the 40-82. If my memory serves me, the SD's were high single digits to low teens; nothing to write home about, but that was also before I learned to compress powder. YMMV
Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Buckskinner

Duplex

Post by Buckskinner »

Jim and TL

I have read that the oldtimers used duplex loads. If I remember right they used the finer on the bottom.

I haven't loaded a shell yet, but I have a goal of shooting as much fouling out of the barrel as I can and will be trying some duplex loading. I think they used 4f as a kicker under 2f in the original loads.

I would like to hear more of your results :)
Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!