Compression increments

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gregg Simon

Compression increments

Post by Gregg Simon »

I'm trying to save a little time and powder in the load development process. Currently loading Swiss 1-1/2 in my 45-110 and want to play with different compression from .000 to whatever. Thinking about changing the compression in .010 increments but am wondering if it might not make more sense to go in .020 increments. Don't want to change too quickly for fear of missing that sweet spot.

Any suggestions?

Gregg
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

MR45110,

You won't miss the sweet spot by using .020 increments, thats only about 1g. of powder. Two grains or .040 would be better. When the group start to open up, back the powder charge up, keeping notes and the targets.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
David Kunkel

Post by David Kunkel »

Gregg, I am in the same boat with a 45-110 also. so if I may jump on your wagon I would like the same info. from those with more experience. My loads are ffg goex pushing a Steve Brooks moulded 530 g. postel at 30-1 alloy using 92 g ffg compressed about 3/16. at 50 yards there is a big hole in the target at 100 about a three to four inch group at 300 my only experience is at a grocery bag we killed about 40% of the time...

Dave
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

compression

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

crimp expander dia, and bullet jump has some play in this.. also consistent case lenght.. in finding the best load for my .45 cal colt loads i would try three different crimps using 0 or one or two manilila file shimms under the crimp die.. this will get you to a accurate load much quicker...this method also varies the leghth which must also be delt with..i would suggest a custom expander made by rcbs that is extra long to be about the same diameter as your bullet or .001 inch under. make sure the loaded bullet is not smallerthan bore size.. pull a loaded bullet out of the shell with pliers on top of press without die and mike its diameter..
but to me the real problem is improper holding (steering) bag placement front and back, body placement, cheek pressure, etc on these very finely built guns..alot of the loads your are shooting may be beter than you can hold.... one problem i had to fix was that the standard rcbs expander isnot long enough for long 500 grain lyman mould bullet i was using.. makeing the bullet under diameter of bore at base.. unless you are an experienced shooter you could esily go by the most accurate load in you leaning experience... but as time goes on your bullets and loads will change for your exact purpose. so just have fun shooting. ive come to the realization after working on a 500 grain bullet ( for most of the time ive had this 45 70) to decide that trajectory was more importand for hunting using a 400 grain bullet where there would not be much penneteration difference than the 500 grain especially if im pushing it faster... the real reason for faster bullet is for quiqher barrel time (which causes different holds in the field to give differnt impacts).. and im by no means an expert on this, just diving into the science of it all, thats what i enjoy a good tough problem to wile the winter evenings away with... good luck dave..