Storing PP bullets and cartridges

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rick Crabtree

Storing PP bullets and cartridges

Post by Rick Crabtree »

While going through some hunting stuff getting ready for a deer hunt next week. I noticed that several of the PP cartridges I had left in my leather cartridge belt the paper on the bullets had turned translucent. Which is a bad sign the paper is absorbing lube which can cause erratic performance.
I had been to a match Sunday and the rounds had been in the belt since Friday. 6 days. I disassembled one and looked closer. All the grease cookie was hidden under a walter's wad so that wasn't it. I did not lube the patch when loading not that my lube leeches into the patches anyway. But what the heck? Then it dawned on me. My cartridge belt has an oily finnish, it had been hot here (Las Vegas) for thematch which would make the oil in the leather come more to the surface. I looked again at the contaminated bullets and they showed more translucence on the side next to the leather. I am 99% convinced that the bullets became contaminated from oils in the cartridge belt.--Something to think about especially in hot weather.
" I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees"
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Rick,

Something else to think about. I've shot MANY pp bullets that were translucent wraps. I made them that way. Near as I can tell, it don't make a twit of difference at the target. On average, I'll shoot 2-2.5 MOA at ranges, but on occasion I will shoot 1-1.5 MOA, all with greased skins!

TL
Rick Crabtree

Post by Rick Crabtree »

Thanks Timberlake. I have shot a few some did ok some didn't. I lubed some years ago I don't remember what with now. Probably something we would all cringe at. They turned translucent over a couple moths and when I got around to shooting them the patches didn't hold up. They even felt kinda soggy. I have also shot some that did ok. I think the length of time the patches have had to turn soft MAY have something to do with it. I have used this belt before and never had a problem but probably not in such hot weather and usually I rub a lube on my bullets before loading them , these were dry.
" I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees"