three rounds with out blow tube

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ffffgdave@yahoo.com

three rounds with out blow tube

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

im haveing troubles with shooting three rounds without blow tube, or cleaning, for hunting.. ive shortened the bullet so i can reload easier but had to blow to get some of the bullets in.. the problem with this i may not get a shot directly after using blow tube, and in freezing weather this could cause problems.. any suggestions???? 70 grains 3f goex 400 grain lyman bullet sized 459.. thanks dave.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Dave I've been shooting a 411 grain lyman, 4 to 6 shots without a blow tube. The only thing I've done different maybe is use a lyman taper crimp die. I load mine to COL of 2.580 I think. I also full length size mine for hunting. What is the COL of your loads?? I'm talking about 45-70 also, are you??
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
dozer

Post by dozer »

It's been my experience that 3F fouls more than 2F.

"shortened the bullet"???? Do you mean that you seated the bullet deeper? The could produce more fouling in the chamber area and make the next case load harder. I use a flat nose 400 grain Lyman for hunting and load it out the same as the Postell I shoot for targets. I have never had a chambering problem, but accuracy went south after a few shots without the tube.
Doz
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

bullet length

overal lenght is about 2.660-2.662. with old 457 483am mould... case length is about 2.088. when this bullet is touching the lands its out to about 2.72. i measured all of my just loaded rounds and one was over length, the compression may be pushing some of the rounds back up making them of inconsistent lenght.. ill keep an eye on it and see if that is what is happeneing.. i use a 459 case expander and it may be too much for compressed load, or i could use more crimp.... thanks dave..
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

fouling

yes 45-70.. and i admidt i shortened bullet length by seating bullet deeper to decrease pressure.. so this gives me somethings to try anyway... thanks .. dave.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

ffff, I think MLV gave really good advice in his book on Buffalo hunting rifles. He stated that for hunting he makes his rounds so that they will just drop into the rifles chamber easily. I took his advice on a recent buffalo hunt where I ended up firing a total of 3 shots. If need had arisen I am sure I could have fired several more without problem. Its was good advice, and I am glad I took it. I don't know if you are having to push your ctgs into the chamber or not, but if so, try to make them chamber very easily. Hope this helps, Randy
Randy Ruwe
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Get a cartridge seater from longrider!
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

ffff, just my opinion but a .459 expander sounds to me like REALLY big!! Do you FL size or fire size?? My fire size and my FL resized just fall into the chamber, I use a .456 expander. I also taper crimp some and some I use a Lee roll crimp to make sure the hunting loads stay in place. If you have MLV's "Buffalo Rifles" book, there is an outstanding section in there on hunting loads.
Shiloh Rules!!
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

three shots

i full length size, and bullet is snug.. bullet is 459. if expander is smaller with sizing the bullet will usually be under bore size.. i suspect there is quite a difference in shamber sizing.. but ill look into it as accuracy is sure to folow what you guys are doing.. or is it visa versa.. ive found out my fouling problem.. i was trying to clean with hoppies solvent and a wood rod after three rounds just wipping by pushing wet patch thru then anouther wet patch then a dry one.. seemed to really gunk things up.. i made a very short blow tube that fits in my stock bullet sock and it works great.. if i want to field clean ill have to field clean.. i like the looks of the ballard with the clean rods.. thanks dave.
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

mlv and book

how do i contact mlv for one of thier books? sounds like i need contact info for long rider also.. thanks dave.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I don't mean this to be a dumb question but when you are talking about the .459 expander plug, is the .459 the small part that expands or the big part that bells the mouth??? Also check the length of your cases, in my humble opinion they should be about 2.095 or maybe even 2.090. I use Lee Stone's lube formula and I think it really helps with keeping the fouling soft.
Shiloh Rules!!
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

ffff
this sounds kinda strange but I just use spit on a patch and run one down the bore soak it up good and run it down. it cleans it very well. I usually do it after 20 shot strings when Im testing loads but you shouldnt have to after only three rounds. are you using black powder lube? are your cases dirty on the outside? if so the pressure is too low, and fouling will increase.

mlvs address is;
MLV Enterprises
po ba\ox 914
dept nps
Livingston Mt 59047

and the web site is; www.ycsi.net/users/mlventernino
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

case length

your right, i use lee hand case trimmer and measured with the end of te calliper mouth.. not at all accurate.. getting doen the throat my case lenght is about 2.090 to 2.092. probably wass tipping the case before... thanks dave..
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

As most of us know at some point in time we will likely need to clean the rifles bore in the field; likely not if but rather when. When this occurs the best field bore solvent I have ever seen is fortunately also one of the cheapest. I mix up a quart of windshield washer fluid, 2 oz. Murphy's oil soap, and 2 oz. Hoppes #9. I carry around a little plastic squeeze bottle with a flip up top of this stuff. For cleaning patches I use strips of the blue paper Shop Towels. These are really tough and do a good job of bore cleaning without falling apart.

This combination of stuff will clean your rifle bore very nicely in -20 deg temperatures, guaranteed. Further, you won't end up with your cleaning rod frozen into the barrel during the process. Believe me, you haven't had heartburn until that happens. There is no way short of a campfire or the heater in your vehicle you will get the cleaning rod out of the barrel again. Additionally, you'll hate it when the deer is still standing there looking at you!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

ironramrod, your post sounds a lot like a good story that has yet to be shared!! :D How about it? :lol: Randy
Randy Ruwe