forearm to reciever pressure

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ffffgdave@yahoo.com

forearm to reciever pressure

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

gennerally does a sharps shoot better with or without forarm to receiver pressure, when using 100 percent black powder..? thanks dave...
TYRVR

Pressuring the barrel:

Post by TYRVR »

I shoot silouhette almost exclusively, so the forearm does not come into play to a great extent, the barrel sits on the cross-sticks when shooting, I suppose if the forearm had a un-needed amount of pressure against the receiver, there could be effects, I own and have owned many Shiloh and other quality Sharps rifles and do not recall any one of them having a overly tight forearm to receiver fit, most just slipped on, and you could set the wood tight to the action or you move it forward a few thousandths where there was almost no contact, tighten the screws and that was it.

Ol'Tye,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Like most, I also agree that each barrel has a "sweet spot" that provides the optimal placement point to maintain proper barrel harmonics. That being said, due to a disability I shoot exclusively from sitting cross sticks. That includes hunting, midrange, silhouette, or just plinking around. I have tried many different barrel placements from the years of shooting from this position and have determined, for my purposes, that I get the most steady hold and the most consistent accuracy from both my Shilohs, when I rest the forearm on the webbing between the cross sticks. In these instances, any pressure that may be exerted on the barrel from resting the forearm of the weapon on the sticks, if any, has not had a significant influence.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

One last comment. I have heard that some shooters shave small amounts the wood from the rear of the forearm where it interfaces with the receiver. I think the theory is that this pressure can influence accuracy. As I have never performed this task, someone more experienced may want to add an additional comment ragrding this.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Nohorse,

I'm one of the people who shave or releave some of the wood from the back end of the forearm. I once owned a Shiloh #3, 45-70 with a standard weight barrel. I could not get the accuracy from it I thought I should until I took some wood off the end of the forearm. Just enough so that you could see light between the breech and the forearm. Wow, did that change the accuracy of the rifle. It shot great. I've done this to my other 1874 Shilohs and am pleased with the accuracy I get.

Don't take much off, just enough so that the forearm doesn't touch the breech and you can see a very small amount of light when you back-light the rifle.
arnie

Post by arnie »

Wolfgang told me years ago that a dollar bill should slide easily around the gap between the forend and the action.Arnie