Best Darn Storage Boxes for Cast Rifle Bullets.

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jerry Williams

Best Darn Storage Boxes for Cast Rifle Bullets.

Post by Jerry Williams »

Here is a great way to store all those pretty new BPRC bullets you worked so hard to produce. Buy the Fifty round plastic boxes from Midway, which were designed to hold .45 Colt rounds. They come in several colors (red, blue, green) and are transparent. After I lube and size these bullets I store them, base down in the individual storage space for each bullet. Stack these up like cord wood and lable them with self adhesive postage lables. Note: I sort bullets by weight and always store heaviest to lightest starting in the left rear corner and work from left to right coming forward. Usually my box of fifty will all be within 2-3 10ths of grain anyway.Keep makin' pretty bullets :D
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
arnie

Post by arnie »

Jerry,To bad your so far away from me .My oldest son works for a plastic moulding place that makes medical blood testing supplies and they make a box that holds 100 vials that are exactly 45 long colt size ,and also ones that hold 50 .They make all kinds of colors and are all transparent as well as having a hooked hinge instead of the so called live hinge .We have been selling the heck out of these at shooting matches for storing bullets .Arnie
Jerry Williams

Post by Jerry Williams »

arnie, sounds good to me. If you are interested, e-mail me with prices and quantities (bulk pruchases only). I might be interested in doing some business. jerry-williams@uiowa.edu. Peace!
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Jerry, sort of like arnie, I've started using some styrofoam blocks designed to hold test-tube vials to hold my new bullets. I got the idea from rdnck. Each block has 100 holes that are just the right size for a 45 cal bullet. I get them from the lab tech at our local hospital and an added bonus is that the soft styrofoam cushions the bullets. I did have to glue together a 1/8 " wooden box to put the block in as I was worried it was a little flimsy without the support. These things are cheap and if you know someone at your local hospital you can probably get someone to give some to you.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I make wooden boxes from scrap 3/4" plywood or 1x6 bases and strips of 2" wide 1/4" plywood for the sides. Sides are cut to size and attached with drywall screws (these are not for show). I size them to hold 200 bullets. 200 represents the minimum expectations of a morning's casting and usually have a total weight range of 0.7-0.8 grains. Same drill as one of the other posters-lightest in in the rear left (marked).

My goal is to cast 6-8 of these boxes full in the cool season (late December-late February in south LA) so I don't need to cast when the weather gets warmer.

Clarence
MRich

Post by MRich »

All:

You can get "Free" bullet storage boxes at a local "Cigar Shop". They normally have them for free or a small fee.

I use the "All wooden" ones that have cigars of 6" X 50 ring gauge. These will hold approx. 200 .45 cal bullets.

I also, cast, lube/size all of a years supply during the cold weather. Sure beats slaving over a hot lead pot during Atlanta's 95 plus Summers.

Have fun and remember to shoot more and more often.

MRich
dm3280

Container for lubed bullets

Post by dm3280 »

I have found PVC pipe perfect for holding lubed 45 cal bullets. On each end I just place an end cap, one end I glue on and the other I leave where I can remove the cap. I usually cut lengths of 3 feet and make several tubes. Keeps them clean as well.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Well, I finally found a source of storage boxes with the styrofoam trays in them for .50calibre bullets. In the past I just took a .50/90 case and wallowed out the .45calibre trays I had. That works but not very well. too often it cracks the tray. But now I have an extra .50calibre expander plug that I put a handle on. I heat up a pot of water to boiling. Hold the expander plug in the tumbling water to heat up and then use the hot expander plug to smoothly and without damage to the tray, expand the .45calibre holes up to .50calibre size. Don't have to fool with the top tray because the nose of the bullets fit that OK. Now I can keep my lubed .50calibre bullets in boxes of 50 each also, just like my .45 calibre bullets with protection from top and bottom trays. And the boxes and trays are cheap at Midways.
Lee Stone
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

I took the suggestion and purchased 12 boxes from Midway. My mistake however was to purchase the #508 box which will accomodate my 405 gr FP 45-70's, but does not have enough box lid clearance for my .40 caliber Snover's.

Midway's #507 is probably the best all around choice.