Reforming Nickle Cases

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rickd

Reforming Nickle Cases

Post by Rickd »

Getting ready for a #1 Sporter in 40-65 (hopefully Feb. arrival) and am doing research on optimum 45-70 cases for reforming. One recommendation has been to use use Remington brass rather than Winchester due to Rem having thinner necks and chambering more easily. It was also mentioned that the Winchester brass had a tendency to split towards the bottom in reforming. Is there any negative to using Nickel plated brass, as Remington offers 45-70 nickel? Appreciate your comments.
Jerry Williams

Post by Jerry Williams »

Rickd, Shooters say that the nickel plated brass will turn brittle faster and produce nick splits (wear out faster) then regular brass. However, I have been shooting both Remington regular brass and their Nickle brass, and have probably reloaded some nickle cases 60 times. I not sure I will live long enough to ware them out. Get em loaded up and go have fun!!!!
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
MLV

Post by MLV »

Never heard that about Remington brass having thinner necks. As a rule Winchester brass is the thinnest and Remington the thickest. I formed up 300 odd Winchester cases to .40-65 in 1997 and am still happy with them.
bryany

Post by bryany »

How about just buying Starline 40-65.? I haven't used it yet but will be trying it soon.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Rick,

I am going along with Mike on this. Remington brass is thicker than Winshester. Winchester has much more case capacity than the Remington because of this thickness thing. I have found Winchester to be very good brass for forming 40-65 cases out of.

Stairline does in fact have the correct headstamp for the 40-65 cases and while I like Stairline brass usually, I have found there 40-65 brass to not be quite up to snuff in this caliber. I have on hand 500 of Stairline cases in 40-65 and everyone of them is short way too short for me. I think you would be better served by reforming 45-70 cases to 40-65 and then triming to length. And I am not sure which if either would be better for this Winchester or Remington. They both are good brass the Winchester will just hold a little more powder.

Gunny
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Mike & Gunny. You're both apparently right. I had a chat with Steve Brooks today, placing an order for one of two moulds I'm ordering for the 40-65 (first one a 375 grain 'Chicken' bullet; second a 420 grain mid range). Steve said the same thing .. "you will get a few grains less powder in the Remington" and if someone said they had problems forming Winchester brass .. it was a die problem more than likely, not a brass problem. I am very excited .. a Steve Brooks mould, the first of two, in the works .. and a genuine Shiloh .. hopefully ready in February.

.I log on to the Forum daily for tips
. have learned a tremendous amount from all of you
.took a weekend trip from Miami to Big Timber on the
30th. of Oct. and had a great tour of Shiloh with Kirk.
.Got my Waage pot, Rowell ladle, RCBS thermometer, 50
pounds of 30:1; and assorted misc.; a slew of books on
casting & loading 'the holy black'. (So far only loaded
smokeless for my Colts, Marlin CB, & Winchester 38-55)

.Have Mike's books on Buffalo rifles (and other CAS
related books).
.And I am going out with a buddy this weekend to shoot
his Shiloh 45-90.

I just want to say thanks for all of your comments & input towards making this learning experience incredibly enjoyable. That is a widespread thanks to Kirk & Lucinda & Heather, MLV (who has been kind enough to reply to PM's on several occasions), Trigger Dr., Kenny Roos, KW, RDNCK, and a host of others. I look forward to meeting you all in the next couple of years. Take care. Very best regards, Rick Durkin.
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Rickd,

Now thats a post, I like to read stuff when a guy is excited about something thats about to happen. Now I'd suggest you by more 30-1 your going to need it from the sounds of that post.

Happy shooting,

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
MLV

Post by MLV »

Glad to have been of some help. I bought my first Shiloh Sharps in February 1981 and I still get excited about this stuff.
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

knickle plated brass.

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

in 357 mag reloading knickle plated brass was sure a pain untill i got tungsten sizing die.. it shouldbe a big help cutting down on stuck cases and scracting case walls etc.. dont know if hold tru with 45 70 tho.. .. dave.
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

I have always found Federal 45/70 cases to be thicker then then rest , and i had bought a 100 just to make the 1886 45/70 carbine loads ! Saves powder , but their necks have to be annealed first ! JAGG
JAGG
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I'm with Kelly O I think you need more lead .
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T