I need a new Postell mold

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Michael Rix

Re: I need a new Postell mold

Post by Michael Rix »

desert deuce wrote:
Listening to Michael It is almost as if he is old enough to remember. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm with Jackrabbit on that one. :wink:

Knowing Michael it is part of a plan. 8)
Zack, you might have me confused with our good friend Dennis Bruns. I think he told me he mustered out with that 1884 Springfield he set all those old records with. BTW - he was shooting a Postell in his Springfield those times I partnered with him at the nationals. It shot to his calls pretty well.
"Vegetarian" Old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

desert deuce wrote:
Listening to Michael It is almost as if he is old enough to remember. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm with Jackrabbit on that one. :wink:

Knowing Michael it is part of a plan. 8)
Zack, you might have me confused with our good friend Dennis Bruns. I think he told me he mustered out with that 1884 Springfield he set all those old records with. BTW - he was shooting a Postell in his Springfield those times I partnered with him at the nationals. It shot to his calls pretty well.

Why does this double post ???????
"Vegetarian" Old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

There is a chapter in one of Paul Matthews books titled "The Original Design Postell Bullet". The dimensions shown sound a lot like what Michael posted. Apparently Gunn believed that the original design was more aerodynamically efficient than the current versions of this bullet.

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

No, Michael, it was you referring to yourself in a way that leads one to think you are much, much older that I think you are. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have been mulling this over all afternoon and wonder if you have in mind proposing an additional class beyond Super Senior for BPCR, something like Geriatric Class ? And are prepping the field for your petition for inclusion into the new class. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

No, Michael, it was you referring to yourself in a way that leads one to think you are much, much older that I/we think you are. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have been mulling this over all afternoon and wonder if you have in mind proposing an additional class beyond Super Senior for BPCR, something like Geriatric Class ? And are prepping the field for your petition for inclusion into the new class. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And, if so, I think there is a good chance Jackrabbit and maybe even Huey might protest that petition. :roll: :roll:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Lumpy Grits wrote:I ready do wonder WHY this bullet was changed so much over the years. Considering how well it shot in it's original profile. :?
Gary

I suspect that as it was an old design that was primarily designed for blackpowder use, and given it was apparently pretty limited in sales. When there got to be some interest in shooting longer range and the like, the original drawings had probably long since gone to the dump. So they dug out some drawings, said those deep lube grooves aren't needed, and that rounded nose profile... pffft, that thing won't fly.....We got to make it more modern with a spitzer style nose, and that tiny little bevel on the base is just a tool cutters night mare.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

And, if it was information and urgings received by slow mail back in the day from a rifle crank down in Australia, the record of that nonsense has been long since destroyed to protect the relatively innocent. :wink:

Of course, following the thinking of today and the theory of ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny lodged by Darwin the origins of those early letters to IDEAL Manufacturing there could likely be contemporary evidence of a genetic throwback still lurking below the meridian. :D

And if so the existence of such and organism could possibly make itself known to present day moulds makers :?
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

well here's on rifle crank from down under going to make a prediction.
this postell thing has gone so viral that it is highly on the cards that there are about to be a lot of postell moulds sold in the near future.
the magic mould thing is about to go full circle back to the old days.
goddam, the only way to go further is to have pp go viral.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Bruce, are you proposing that PP is like having the flu?
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Say what you want, the current Lyman Postell is hard to beat. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

rdnck wrote:Say what you want, the current Lyman Postell is hard to beat. Shoot straight, rdnck.
If my 2, new to me PJ Postel moulds are any indication, and they look to follow the nose profile of the Lyman version. I agree 110% :!:
Same powder load in my .45-90 as with my PJ Creedmoor. I'm using a few less MOA in elevation past 500 yds.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

That has been my experience, Lumpy. The Lyman is not as sexy or shiny as the PJC, and it doesn't come from California, but it has always shot better in my rifles. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Time to jump in here. Last year I received a gift certificate from BACO (thank you Dave) at a shoot. I chose their Postell with one reduced band. To my surprise the reduced band is .452 and not the .450 I expected. I verified this with Jim as it doesn't show on the drawing and description. I shot it last summer in both the 45-70 and 45-90. It will likely be my 'go to' bullet for this year. Conditions on Saturday at the 'Q' were tough but the Postell hung in there for us and we finished Sunday with a 37, good enough for 5th. Two, three and four had a 38. Mr. Gullo had a 43 to everyone's amazement and won the match. I like the bullet as it lets me seat it with the .452 band just touching the rifling for a reduced load or with the help of a cam tool I can push through that band and just touch the rifling with the second band for some additional powder. The load for the 'Q' was just engraving the .452 band about 0.030" over 78 grains of Olde 'E'. YMMV

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

I suspect that a lot of people have been shooting the Postell for a number of years and keeping quiet about it. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Amen to that Bill.

p
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."