I need a new Postell mold

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Lumpy Grits

Re: I need a new Postell mold

Post by Lumpy Grits »

May I ask what the band dia and nose dia is, as they come out of the mould?
Do you know when this mould was cut?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Michael, how does it shoot a long range ?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

I’m old now but I am not the first owner of this Ideal mold. The first owner(s) were not very careful closing the mold and the pins have wallowed out the entrances to the guild holes. I have carefully reset the pins, but tried not to overdo it. The bullets cast are a few thousands out of round still, but I think the mold halves are fine. I might reset the pins a little farther to get the blocks in better registration. However, with the nose so undersized, target accuracy is unlikely.

I am not a collector but somehow I have acquired examples many of the old, two piece (block and handle) Ideal 45 rifle molds.
We will never know how well this mold, or really the bullets from it, shoots at LR. Lyman did not make this mold to fit modern target rifle barrels. I guess they had a different set of customer needs in mind. It would seem that this bullet was intended to be shot from a fouled barrel. A new mold replica with carefully scaled nose and body to fit the 0.450 – 0.458” barrels like we have today would be needed to really see how this design compares.
I am not likely the one to do that. Just looking at it, I don’t see that it would be too much different than some of our current good bullet designs. This Postell is maybe a little better than some current bullets, and worse than others.
Here is the data on it.

Ideal 457 132 Postell Bullet from some unknown date of manufacture.
Weight in my RixMix alloy 531gr
OAL Length 1.430”
Nose length 0.775 with a 0.200” long cylinder section ahead of the front driving band.
Body length 0.665”
All five driving bands are 0.459” 90 degrees across the parting lines with up to +/- 0.002” out of round – showing up worse at the base.

Adjusting the pins again could reduce that. I may not do much more tuning on this mold because it is not a contender. I have these old Ideal molds for curiosity more than anything. As I have run across them, I have picked them up if the price was right. The few Ideal 457-125 molds I have vary a little too.
"Vegetarian" Old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

I’m old now but I am not the first owner of this Ideal mold. The first owner(s) were not very careful closing the mold and the pins have wallowed out the entrances to the guild holes. I have carefully reset the pins, but tried not to overdo it. The bullets cast are a few thousands out of round still, but I think the mold halves are fine. I might reset the pins a little farther to get the blocks in better registration. However, with the nose so undersized, target accuracy is unlikely.

I am not a collector but somehow I have acquired examples many of the old, two piece (block and handle) Ideal 45 rifle molds.
We will never know how well this mold, or really the bullets from it, shoots at LR. Lyman did not make this mold to fit modern target rifle barrels. I guess they had a different set of customer needs in mind. It would seem that this bullet was intended to be shot from a fouled barrel. A new mold replica with carefully scaled nose and body to fit the 0.450 – 0.458” barrels like we have today would be needed to really see how this design compares.
I am not likely the one to do that. Just looking at it, I don’t see that it would be too much different than some of our current good bullet designs. This Postell is maybe a little better than some current bullets, and worse than others.
Here is the data on it.

Ideal 457 132 Postell Bullet from some unknown date of manufacture.
Weight in my RixMix alloy 531gr
OAL Length 1.430”
Nose length 0.775 with a 0.200” long cylinder section ahead of the front driving band.
Body length 0.665”
All five driving bands are 0.459” 90 degrees across the parting lines with up to +/- 0.002” out of round – showing up worse at the base.

Adjusting the pins again could reduce that. I may not do much more tuning on this mold because it is not a contender. I have these old Ideal molds for curiosity more than anything. As I have run across them, I have picked them up if the price was right. The few Ideal 457-125 molds I have vary a little too.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Michael Rix wrote:I’m old now but I am not the first owner of this Ideal mold.
Old!! Beware my friends, this is just a sneaky tactic to attempt to get us to underestimate him!! He comes in the back, trying to be all quiet and unnoticeable, then knocks out a 37 at this months silhouette match. He cleaned all the lay downs and shot 7 chickens!!! "Old" people do not shoot 37's!! lol!
When Michael speaks, I have found it wise to listen.
take care, Cody
SgtDog0311

Post by SgtDog0311 »

Appears the "old" Mr Rix is indeed a sneaky fellow. I saw those scores before the day was out and thought sure he must be a young and probably handsome version of a Tom Selleck with the eyes of an eagle in his prime:-).

Seriously, great picture and good input and observations... had wondered myself about the 'integral handles' observation.

Yet more evidence that moulds morph over time since we see no bevel base. Mine btw does not confirm the "smaller base band" report.

I am surprised to read that the .200 in front of the driving band is cylindrical. My eye would lie to me there in looking at the picture. Looks tapered from the band forward. However, I would not be so foolish as to question they eyes that measured it.

Thanks for posting Michael.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Thank you Michael.
One last question-
What is the nose diameter, just in front of the front band?
G.
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

My kids and Sharlene think I'm old. Been shooting a Brooks copy of the Lyman Postel for a long time. It shoots good and has no bad habits.

I also have two(2) Lyman Postels. They shoot together and well; meaning there is no visual, discernible difference tween them, no measurable difference either. They weigh within .04 grn as well. Musta been made by the same person, on the same day, same shift; one right behind the other.

I plan to wear out Steve's mold and then get back into those Lymans (which ain't for sale).
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Tough threat to know where to begin to respond.

Out of round bullets from a bullet mould are not an unusual phenomenon, and, as a world class shooter remarked, "If you put enough powder in the case the barrel will make them round on the way to the muzzle." And his bullets were visually out of round.

There really isn't a good term, phrase even, to describe Michael Rix in relation to unusual to almost unbelievable feats in our area of competition. He no longer surprises me, only amaze. Besides winning the Creedmoor Match at Raton, which was probably accomplished because he was in one of his grooves more than anything else, I personally was spotting for him with Hugh Wilson as his spotter when one shot at 600 yards went into the X-ring and the three succeeding shots hit the wooden center pin of the shot spotter. Folks, that is four shots in less than an inch at 600 yards. Odd part was it was hard to convince Michael it happened. Fortunately the target puller preserved the damaged shot spotters and presented them to him after the match.

As an aside, perhaps the ORIGINAL Postell was developed to be used in long range competition in a Trapdoor.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I ready do wonder WHY this bullet was changed so much over the years. Considering how well it shot in it's original profile. :?
Gary
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Gary, exactly the question. Was it that it just shot better than the competition, meaning other available bullets?
Was it made to shoot specifically in one rifle ? Did it just shoot better in one rifle than another? Were there certain conditions it shot well in and not so well in others? Certainly it was not happenstance.

Listening to Michael It is almost as if he is old enough to remember. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm with Jackrabbit on that one. :wink:

Knowing Michael it is part of a plan. 8)
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

desert deuce wrote:Gary, exactly the question. Was it that it just shot better than the competition, meaning other available bullets?
Was it made to shoot specifically in one rifle ? Did it just shoot better in one rifle than another? Were there certain conditions it shot well in and not so well in others? Certainly it was not happenstance.

Listening to Michael It is almost as if he is old enough to remember. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm with Jackrabbit on that one. :wink:

Knowing Michael it is part of a plan. 8)
:lol: :lol:
I'll bet somewhere, there are pictures of Michael and Captain Postel shooting together. :P
Gary
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

jackrabbit wrote:
Michael Rix wrote:I’m old now but I am not the first owner of this Ideal mold.
Old!! Beware my friends, this is just a sneaky tactic to attempt to get us to underestimate him!! He comes in the back, trying to be all quiet and unnoticeable, then knocks out a 37 at this months silhouette match. He cleaned all the lay downs and shot 7 chickens!!! "Old" people do not shoot 37's!! lol!
When Michael speaks, I have found it wise to listen.
take care, Cody
OKAY! IS this the right place to insert an "AWW Shucks!" ?
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

Lumpy Grits wrote: What is the nose diameter, just in front of the front band? G.
Thank you for noticing. I forgot to get that in the post.
The cylinder section is 0.443" in diameter.
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

SgtDog0311 wrote:Appears the "old" Mr Rix is indeed a sneaky fellow. I saw those scores before the day was out and thought sure he must be a young and probably handsome version of a Tom Selleck with the eyes of an eagle in his prime:-).

Seriously, great picture and good input and observations... had wondered myself about the 'integral handles' observation.

Yet more evidence that moulds morph over time since we see no bevel base. Mine btw does not confirm the "smaller base band" report.

I am surprised to read that the .200 in front of the driving band is cylindrical. My eye would lie to me there in looking at the picture. Looks tapered from the band forward. However, I would not be so foolish as to question they eyes that measured it.

Thanks for posting Michael.
Yes, I am Tom's stunt double. That is me in the reverse mortgage ads. Selling reverse mortgages is very risky work. :wink:
I agree about the look of the nose section. It would be easy to assume it is one smooth ellipse. I checked it with the one inch Starrett micrometer. Unfortunately, it is only 0.443" and not enough to center the unfired bullet.
I hope to meet you, maybe at Steve's place some time?